Got screwed!!!!! Help!!!!!!

SupraPieces

Nov 23, 2011
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I recently picked up an LED modded 89+ climate control for my 87... dude said it worked perfectly... such is not the case... I installed it the other day and turned my lights on and blew a fuse. I put in a 25amp fuse and as soon as the parking lights went on... pop!. Apparently this guy sold it because it has a short... anyone knowledgeable enough to fix it or at least steer me to some helpful knowledge?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I could fix it, but it's a lot of shipping cost. :D

Really, they're not that complicated, I'd think that anyone who can handle a soldering iron could probably trouble-shoot it and get it working for you.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I've modded about 8 of them, and I can't imagine that it would be too hard to find the short once you opened it up.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
seoul4korea;1836925 said:
About how much does it cost to do this to your cluster and climate control anyways?

Cost is minimal. Parts are under $20 if you already have a soldering iron, flux and solder.

OP: You can take it apart (carefully) and we can help narrow down the problem. I'd rather help somebody learn to diagnose it themselves than just fix it for them.

The whole teach a man to fish vs giving him a fish... ;)

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
suprarx7nut;1836950 said:
Cost is minimal. Parts are under $20 if you already have a soldering iron, flux and solder.

OP: You can take it apart (carefully) and we can help narrow down the problem. I'd rather help somebody learn to diagnose it themselves than just fix it for them.

The whole teach a man to fish vs giving him a fish... ;)

thats cheap, i'm looking into this lol

SupraPieces

Nov 23, 2011
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I appreciate that.. I will try to get it apart today and see what i can see.. I'm not technologically retarded but i spent a couple of dollars on this and don't know the pinouts and resistances i should see... especially after it has been modded

SupraPieces

Nov 23, 2011
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
no hadn't tried that.. My brother in law was laughing at me because he thought that the shaking of the dash from cutting away some of the center console with a sawz-all was the problem and that i had shaken something loose... But i made sure not to hit any wiring or anything stupid like that... will attempt to re-install the old one tonight maybe and see if it works...then i will have to crack open the new one and inspect that.. thanks everyone for the quick replies.. Will let you know when i figure something out

SupraPieces

Nov 23, 2011
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
well with the new climate control unplugged everything except the dome lights works just fine.. i am going to try to plug the old climate control in and see if it all works still that way.. then i will know it is the new one

SupraPieces

Nov 23, 2011
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Well took I took it apart and found the issue... apparently the guy that did the work was sloppy with his soldering iron and brushed up against a couple wires and melted the insulation away...
IMAG0571.jpg

A little electrical tape and it works just fine