got no oil pressure reading in gage..

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
did you test it while its running?
its a potentiometer.. and theres no continuity when there is no oil pressure... so if you dont get a ground signal from the connector with the car running.. then you either have no oil pressure or a faulty sensor..

if you do have a ground signal ... then you either have a bad gauge, or an open between the gauge and the sensor..

good luck

Take a new oil filter, punch (not drill) a 1/4" hole in the bottom (punching avoids chips). Solder in a piece of 1/4" copper tubing. Run a fuel hose to a 100 PSI gauge. Put the filter on the engine. That will tell you what the true OP is without hassles, upstream of the filter element. Once hot, pressure drop across the element will be small, especially at idle.

BernieK

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
damn, thats a crazy idea..MacGyver-esk.... hahaha.

sounds like a solid idea, as a temporary fix... but wouldnt it take the same amount of time to actually diagnose it?

not to mention if this kid sucks at soldering.... that would make a shitty mess.. lol

carfanatic89

May 21, 2008
Texas
berniek sorry but thats big waste of time and effort, why go though all that trouble.

Heres what you do, go to the hardware store buy a 3 in. long piece of 1/8" galv. pipe, some fuel line hose, hose clamps and a 0-100 psi guage. Take the that sender out and screw in 1/8" pipe, put the hose on the pipe and put the guage on the other end and tighten the clamps. It will tell you if your pump is working, it not a permanent fix, but it will let you know if your making oil pressure.

Should be about $18 in parts, no soldering and no cutting oil filters.

It worked for me, I thought my pump was out, turned out to be the sender.

I recently removed all the wires and sensors off near the thermostat area on my 88' n/a 5-speed mk3 supra and I am left w/ one thin wire. My oil pressure gauge is not reading squat. I checked the TSRM & manual and there's nothing about a oil pressure sending wire. I believe it's a thin yellow wire, it operated just fine before, now I can figure out where it went. Everything is back in order except that one yellow wire. There were two wires but one goes in under the distributor. Any ideas girls and boys?
Is it harmful to run car w/o oil pressure gauge not reading? I can provide picture of wire if necessary.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
berniek;1358770 said:
Take a new oil filter, punch (not drill) a 1/4" hole in the bottom (punching avoids chips). Solder in a piece of 1/4" copper tubing. Run a fuel hose to a 100 PSI gauge. Put the filter on the engine. That will tell you what the true OP is without hassles, upstream of the filter element. Once hot, pressure drop across the element will be small, especially at idle.

BernieK

Could just use an actual oil pressure testing gauge....