Got another problem

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I had it happened to me before, it gets so annoying that i had to drive so slow just to get the car warmed up lol. When ever i tried to step on it or give it some gas it would just bog and jerks. After awhile then it runs well. I never had a chance or get up my lazy ass to find out wat was wrong with it.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Ive had at least 2 AFM's go out and they both caused black smoke to spew out the back, one had the circuit board delaminate and the other had the flapper door stick. The flapper door is easy enough to check. The one that delaminated would keep dying while idling but would start again.

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
f00g00 said:
The one that delaminated would keep dying while idling but would start again.

Sounds familiar!

To answet your question, most N/A Supras, in my experiance, a little poorly when cold started. It has to do with the fact that you're actually running VERY RICH on cold starts. You have the CTS telling the ECU to richen up because the engine (coolant) is cold. Also, the cold start injector (which sits on the driver's side of the intake plenum) is running.

The first things I would check would be:
1: Cold Start Injector
2: Coolant (water) Temperature Sensor (not sender. Never get them mixed up!)
3: Get a DVOM and check the AFM. I can get you the testing procedures if you don't have access to them.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Follow Supra86Point5 advice about the coolant temp sensor and MAF sensor. The cold start injector will just make it run worse when warmed up. Test procedures for the sensors can be found in the TSRM.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The cold start injector can't run after start. It only operates when the engine is being cranked. Not saying it can't mechanically leak, just that it can't receive power without the key being in the start position.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
i've replaced the cold start injector already, it does the same thing still. I have another coolant temp sensor (side of the thermostat housing right ?) I'll try that in the next day or so and see if that makes any difference.