Got a new car!

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Well you make 3 Supra owners (including myself) that switched to Subarus...

I splurged for an 05 sti, mainly because it only had 9k miles, was $14k cheaper than the 07s, and didn't have that wierd grille.

Don't let anyone hate on it, it's awesome having a fast car that doesn't keep your toes listening for RK, watching the temp sensor, etc. Oh, and checking oil is just a habit, not a neccesity. :icon_bigg

+1 for the snow... they're hella fun out in open fields though.

*edit*
The tripple gauge in the center of the dash isn't std on any wrx that I've seen. It's an $800-ish add-on.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
mkIIIman089 said:
LOL that cruise control looks like something that was designed for the wheel to be on the other side the car.

What? That's probably the most common spot for cruise control to be. Even the MK3 has it there on airbag models.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Jeff Lange said:
What? That's probably the most common spot for cruise control to be. Even the MK3 has it there on airbag models.
Welp, then they all look like they belong on the other side of the car. My '89 non airbag is perfectly layed out right where your hands sit... so its not something I have ever noticed.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
Well you make 3 Supra owners (including myself) that switched to Subarus...

I splurged for an 05 sti, mainly because it only had 9k miles, was $14k cheaper than the 07s, and didn't have that wierd grille.

Don't let anyone hate on it, it's awesome having a fast car that doesn't keep your toes listening for RK, watching the temp sensor, etc. Oh, and checking oil is just a habit, not a neccesity. :icon_bigg

+1 for the snow... they're hella fun out in open fields though.

*edit*
The tripple gauge in the center of the dash isn't std on any wrx that I've seen. It's an $800-ish add-on.

yikes 800$ for 200$ worth of gauges and you lose your clock what a deal! Lol.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ Covered by warranty and wont void any of the electrical warranty either. Not too bad considering it replaces the dummy lights.

I don't have it, I just seen the prices at the parts counter.

The fog lights I want are $450-ish, And they arent even the 15" ones like back in the day! :icon_mad:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
^ Covered by warranty and wont void any of the electrical warranty either. Not too bad considering it replaces the dummy lights.

I don't have it, I just seen the prices at the parts counter.

The fog lights I want are $450-ish, And they arent even the 15" ones like back in the day! :icon_mad:

That's the biggest issue with Subaru, the LOVE to void warranties!!! They will try to void your warranty for the smallest little unrelated bs things. I'm not even kidding, hopefully you don't have any problems with the car, even with items installed at the dealer. It's sad because I used to love Subaru....until I actually owned one. Maybe by now they fixed their complete and utter CRAP transmissions and the piss poor bearing clearances causing rod knock on new engines.

I have seen someone get a new GM vehicle replaced because the door chime was too loud! I had 17 separate service tickets in a year and Subaru still wouldn't buy it back or give me a different car. It has to be the same problem three times in a row within a specific period of time to be called a lemon.

Last edited:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
bigaaron said:
That's the biggest issue with Subaru, the LOVE to void warranties!!! They will try to void your warranty for the smallest little unrelated bs things. I'm not even kidding, hopefully you don't have any problems with the car, even with items installed at the dealer. It's sad because I used to love Subaru....until I actually owned one. Maybe by now they fixed their complete and utter CRAP transmissions and the piss poor bearing clearances causing rod knock on new engines.

I have seen someone get a new GM vehicle replaced because the door chime was too loud! I had 17 separate service tickets in a year and Subaru still wouldn't buy it back or give me a different car. It has to be the same problem three times in a row within a specific period of time to be called a lemon.

he hasnt had trouble with the dealer on his car (he took it when he got a check engine light, was a faulty sensor that was in a recall i believe) i did the lemon with my camry i had... really dissapointed with those :3d_frown:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
bigaaron said:

I remember that car. lol

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
Nice man, I almost bought one a few years ago. My bud had a nice '03 with pretty much every mod before a turbo upgrade and drove it 40k miles in the two years he owned it, never had a problem with it even with routine hard launches.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
bigaaron said:

LOL. This big rant just reminded me of a buddy's WRX. I think he fragged 2 transmissions just driving in traffic... still working on getting one of them replaced.

Kylar27

Supra Lover
Oct 2, 2005
Connecticut
mkIIIman089 said:
LOL. This big rant just reminded me of a buddy's WRX. I think he fragged 2 transmissions just driving in traffic... still working on getting one of them replaced.

Yeah every car has its weak spot, its the tranny on these. They dont like you to rev to 6k and drop the clutch. To be honest you dont even need to do that really. These cars will take off like a bat out of hell with some good clutch foot work. I'd rather put a bit of extra wear on the clutch then frag a tranny.

Dont forget guys this is my d/d, my toy car is still the Supra. I might do a air filter, bov, and MAYBE a catback if that even.....and maybe some rims in the future....lol

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Kylar27 said:
Yeah every car has its weak spot, its the tranny on these. They dont like you to rev to 6k and drop the clutch. To be honest you dont even need to do that really. These cars will take off like a bat out of hell with some good clutch foot work. I'd rather put a bit of extra wear on the clutch then frag a tranny.

Dont forget guys this is my d/d, my toy car is still the Supra. I might do a air filter, bov, and MAYBE a catback if that even.....and maybe some rims in the future....lol

That is true, many people who had transmission problems were the ones who thought they could drop the clutch at high rpm like a rwd car. Plus, i bet they have worked out a lot of the issues that the 2002 model year had.

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
bigaaron said:
That is true, many people who had transmission problems were the ones who thought they could drop the clutch at high rpm like a rwd car. Plus, i bet they have worked out a lot of the issues that the 2002 model year had.

A buddy of mine had an 03 Prodrive Edition that ground 2nd like a MoFo. Still a damn nible car for a sedan. He always said the rear seats and doors were for insurance purposes only. LOL

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Bug-Eyes
jdmheadlights1.jpg

FTW!
I will own one someday, i just love that generation. I daily a 97 impreza outback btw ;)

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
The bug eyes never did it for me... Neither do the late model style.

When I see other of them, I think O_O and >_<

The 2nd styled headlights are good though. The triangular like ones they used on the first stateside STi.