got a couple ideas, but not sure which route to take

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
whatsup guys? ive been on this forum for awhile, joined back in 08. my car started off as a 87 NA with a seized motor, and now ive got a 87 gte jdm motor in it. car will crank but wont start because of a faulty wiring harness i picked up from this guy in ny.. a couple of my friends say i need to get another one. toyota wants 700 for the brand new one, or i can pick it up from someone else not knowing the condition its in.

so ive been thinking about my problem and came up with a few options.

1. i could just spend 700 on a new harness and get her going/but now that i think about it im pretty sure i didnt torque the head down right so id have to pull her apart.. againnn
2. could i bring the seized ge to a machine shop and get it back to its original state or even better?
3. if the machine shop route is relatively cheap, i'd keep the gte and get it done up perfectly and then swap it in
4. and no im not selling my car, shes staying with me forever :evil2:

this is my first project car, so you could say im fairly new at this.. but i'd love to learn way more about my car, so help from you guys would be great! thanks

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
i would troubleshoot to find out exactly WHY its not starting.
is it getting spark? fuel?
it could be something as simple as the CPS wires.
does your tach jump when you're cranking the car?

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
If you have time do what i did.
my friend just got a 1jzgte vvti and it had the same problem, we diagnosed every wire in the harness until we found the problem. it was that the injectors weren't getting anything from the cpu.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
if you dont know how to test the injectors do this:
pour some gas into the intake manifold and let get inside the engine, then start the engine. if it runs then it is from the injectors and if it didnt then its with the sparkplugs.

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
thanks for all the input guys! i havent been able to complete any tests due to my crazy restaurant schedual. ive got a couple of days off this week im gunna check it out. thanks a lot