Got a 86.5 supra mk3 ..trying to figure out what to do with the engine.

gmsotaku

Apr 4, 2010
VA
Just bought a 1986.5 supra mkiii with a 7MGE and W58.

Engine doesnt run and I was planning to rebuild it. But looking into it a lil more and wanting a more power in the future, Im looking into getting a 2JZ-GTE..this one to be exact > http://www.jspecauto.com/catalog_product.aspx?prod_id=90

Since I am new to this platform, I was wondering if anyone could tell me or point me in the direction of anything that will tell me the parts and steps required. Also do I need anything else for the 2jzgte swap?

Thanks guys!

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
You need a good amount of stuff lol. For starters look at the stickys. you can look at my thread in sticky for a 1jz swap basically the same, 1jz is better if you're on a budget.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
start with a simple search. All i typed in was "2jz* swap" and there were tons of threads with info on the swap

start here http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?66984-2JZGTE-MKIII-Swap-Info&highlight=2jz*+swap

you have come to the right place for information.
i noticed that the engine you are considering buying does not come with a trans. you dont NEED a turbo trans but they are considerably stronger than the W58.
Also is the motor you are considering buying have a rear sump oil pan? (if not it will meed to be converted)
The 2jz is a very good upgrade to consider, but the 1jz will be cheaper. But there are a couple of differences between the two.
Any swap will need allot of work and $ to make it work. I recommend you let dr tweak take care of your wiring issues during the swap.
Ask lots of specific questions, and do evin more research.

gmsotaku

Apr 4, 2010
VA
I was actually reading a lot of the stickies and other posts. As far as the transmission we were thinking of the r154. And for the wiring itself..I am currently looking into that don't know how extensive the process is. We are very sure that we want to skip 1jz and go straight to 2jz, only other concern were the motor mounts..as in do they bolt on or is it a weld? We have about 3 weeks to make the final decision. I will look into your threads as well, still have a lot of research. Thanks for the help!

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
There are maybe a few reasons that the car did not run in the first place, allot of which may not be solved with a rebuild.

You are getting ahead of yourself thinking going turbo swap, when the car doesn't evin run.

If you want boost, a complete swap will be the the easiest way to do so. Otherwise you need a running car. Then going turbo, is a whole different issue.

The e-gay kit you mentioned includes a universal piping kit which is fine. It also has no way of controlling/changing fuel for a turbo setup. So there is a ton of needed components and know how to make it work with a GE.

If you want a running car, fix the GE, or if you want boost swap for a turbo motor (or go na-t after it runs), . These are your choices with minimal budget and knowledge. If you have unlimited knowledge or budget anything is possible (either way you would ditch the e-bay turbo kit).

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
92TealSupra;1543951 said:
You need a good amount of stuff lol. For starters look at the stickys. you can look at my thread in sticky for a 1jz swap basically the same, 1jz is better if you're on a budget.

they come out pretty close to the same price IMO.. you can just ease the process a little more by getting a jza70 front clip or a motor set with an R154 already attached.

gmsotaku

Apr 4, 2010
VA
it was just a thought really...were rebuiliding the 7mge when summer starts...aka 3-4 weeks from now. For now the goal = get car running, pass emissions/inspections, get it registered....drive it..