Good set-up?

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
I've been checking out the " these are the best tanabe springs, and koni struts your can use'" or the " EiBach springs with tokiko's are the best". I want to drop the ride but i don't want to lose traction. I like the way the front drops with my eibach in my n/a yeah, but will my stock springs help traction with new struts in the rear? The like the stiffer ride but don't want to get it too stiff and lose traction..........

So stock springs in the rear w/new struts and lowering springs on new struts in the front. How will this affect my ride and handle? how will this affect my launches?

This is the kind of set-up i might have to live with. Any input is helpful. Thanks

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I'm guessing this is a drag race application?

How much power, what does the car weigh, tires, wheels, etc?? How serious are you about it? Do you want a street car, that can go to the track? Do you want a drag car that you will still drive on the street?

Stock springs i the rear and lowering springs in the front would look goofy.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
It's going to be a street car taken to the track maybe a few times a month, but i won't be driving it everyday...mostly weekends and one day during the week. Approximately 450-500 hp. I have mk4 tt 17x8 wheels on it front and rear with 255-40-17 bridgestone potenza re750.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
If it's predominantly a street car and just taken to the drag strip every once in a while for fun, I would focus more on a good street suspension and less on the drag racing. There are many possible setups that would work well for the street and could also work well for drag racing. Like I usually recommend, I would go with a Bilstein or Koni damper paired with a good Hypercoils spring setup and spring sleeves. The rates of these springs can be based on the car and what you want to do with it, as well as the valving on the dampers.

I would probably go with springs a little stiffer than stock, but not too much stiffer, and a little shorter for a better stance. The exact rate would depend on the car.

With higher hp and agressive launches there is a lot that goes into maintaining traction. Tires are one part of it and a very important part. If the tires themselves can not handle the torque then a non-optimal suspension can only make it worse. But an optimal suspension may not be all you need to maintain power. Also alignment has a lot to do with it as well. This is where a compromise comes into play with the suspension. Stiffer springs will limit wheel travel and help to stay closer to your static alignment. But the stiffer spring rates may not be the best for launching.

Maybe some others will chime in with what setup they've used for similar goals.

Tim

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
I appreciate the help. i'm just looking for something thats going to make my car stand right but not something thats going to bounce all over the road, and kill my traction when i do go to the track. I even thought about getting another set of lowering springs and struts just for in-town and a good set of track suspension too. But pretty much what your saying is that i should just weight it and see what my corner numbers are looking like and kinda go from there ?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
A good damper matched with the a good spring rate and the car should not be bouncy. A good suspension does not mean a rough or bouncy ride. If you think what you're doing with the car would justify a full drag suspension setup, then that's your choice. But I would think a well thought out simpler package could work well for you. But if you're trying to be very competitive with this car, then a custom drag setup would be better. It really depends on how serious you want to get with it and how the car is going to be used.

Tim

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
not to take away from the thread but i had a question...i want to get a konis and hypercoil setup but it seems that the konis sold for the 1990 supra dont come with a spring seat..does anyone use konis and if so how did u mount the springs...thanks