Good Clutch for between 350 to 450 HP

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
I did do a search and did not see where anybody asked this question. I am about to do an engine swap and I have about $300.00 I can afford to replace the current OEM toyota clutch. I want to put something in that will allow a bit of building before it needs to be replaced.

I am getting a JDM motor putting in a Titam 1.4 MHG ARP studs Downpipe with exaust no cats in the system. looking for opinions and experiances your willing to share.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
Cravin Boost said:
I did do a search and did not see where anybody asked this question. I am about to do an engine swap and I have about $300.00 I can afford to replace the current OEM toyota clutch. I want to put something in that will allow a bit of building before it needs to be replaced.

I am getting a JDM motor putting in a Titam 1.4 MHG ARP studs Downpipe with exaust no cats in the system. looking for opinions and experiances your willing to share.

I went with an RPS Maxx series stgIII clutch for my new setup which I'm hopin to be hitting 450hp...

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
XTD 6 puck goes for about $250 holds around 450+ HP works great with smooth engaugement!! I had the F1 it was really ruff but this one works great!!

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I like my spec stage 2. Rated to 460ft.lbs. Spec also has the Stage 2+ and the Stage 3 which is rated to 520ft.Lbs.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
i have the spec 3 and it works pretty well. the clutch actually seems to grab harder now that i have a few drag passes on it. when its warm though it can be a touch hard to engage smoothly.

casper35404

May 20, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
Spec stage 3. In full agreement that when it's warm it's hard to engage smoothly. I tried the stage 2+, but it vibrated a lot. I don't know if it was the flexplate or the clutch, but my shop is probably not going to put one in another MKIII. Besides, the stage 3 is cheaper and holds more power. I wonder why.....hmmmm

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I have spec stage 2 in my car so I would be inclined to reccomend a stage 3 for you to add a little bit of buffer on the torque range.

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
man... alot of spec clutch users on here...

I have the spec stage 1... clutch is great but i should have thought ahead of time... got a new turbo going on the car... and its gonna be at 400-450hp... clutch is only rated to 400ftlbs... should be ok for a while... probably only push high 300's to save the clutch a little...

prepare for the future...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Disc type= smoother progressive engagement more tolerant of being slipped

Puck type= On off capable of holding a good deal more TQ than a full face due to higher force per sq inch of material don't like to be slipped for extended periods .

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
IJ: sweet, thanks. So if I could find a disc type clutch like the RPS stage 2 or Spec stage 2+ that could hold 500+ lb-ft of torque, you think that would be the best way to go for a car that will spend most of its life on the street?

(I'm looking at the Clutchnet ones Al linked right now... very nice prices!)

IJ. said:
Disc type= smoother progressive engagement more tolerant of being slipped

Puck type= On off capable of holding a good deal more TQ than a full face due to higher force per sq inch of material don't like to be slipped for extended periods .

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Not really sure what's available in full face for that TQ rating but I'd guess anything that strong will be a puck disc!

I run a twin disc solid centre full face ceramic here and while it can be a little tricky to drive it never slips!

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Well, according to MVP's website the RPS stage 2 is rated for 575 lb-ft, and the Spec stage 2+ is rated for "more than 460". (both are disc-type, going by MVP's website)

Unfortunately, that Clutchnet website doesn't list any torque specs for any of their clutches... I guess I'll have to actually call them, or something.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
The stage 3 seems to come in both disc and a 4-puck version. MVP says it's good for daily driving. *shrug*

Found Spec's website -- the Stage 2+ can hold 500 lb-ft of torque, and the 3 can hold 520. The 3 is also slighly cheaper. :dunno:

I need to find people with all the clutches I'm thinking about getting, and convince all of them to let me drive their cars... somehow... :)

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
IJ. said:
"more than 460" is a worry 461?

Seems the guys are liking the spec-3 is that a full face?

My stage 2 is a full face and the 3 is a 6 puck.
The 2+ has kevlar(stage 2) on one side and stage 3 material on the other side.