good battery but no power anywhere

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
well i was driveing my car around a little today and all the suddon i noticed that my power kept flashing everyonce and a while so i pulled over and checked the battary cables they were fine. i drovr around a little more and realized it only did this when i het the breaks or hit the window switch i looked at the voltage gauge and it was fine. well i turned my car off and went into a friends house came back out and i had no power anywhere at all no lights or anything well i figured the battery must be bad well got it home and checked it with a volt tester 13.9 volts after i charged it for a few minutes hooked everything back up and still nothing checked all the fuses under the hood and everything is fine. looked around for lose connections and didnt find any. i dont know much about electrial problems or diegnoseing them any ideas this just seems funny and ive never heard anything like this.:1zhelp:

91toy

Jan 26, 2008
manitoba
thebadz32;1215065 said:
well i was driveing my car around a little today and all the suddon i noticed that my power kept flashing everyonce and a while so i pulled over and checked the battary cables they were fine. i drovr around a little more and realized it only did this when i het the breaks or hit the window switch i looked at the voltage gauge and it was fine. well i turned my car off and went into a friends house came back out and i had no power anywhere at all no lights or anything well i figured the battery must be bad well got it home and checked it with a volt tester 13.9 volts after i charged it for a few minutes hooked everything back up and still nothing checked all the fuses under the hood and everything is fine. looked around for lose connections and didnt find any. i dont know much about electrial problems or diegnoseing them any ideas this just seems funny and ive never heard anything like this.:1zhelp:

Are you measuring the voltage at the battery terminals? Try measuring from the positive post of the battery to a ground on the vehicle. It sounds like a bad ground to me.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Also check for corrosion on the Fusible Link in the engine bay fuse box. A heavily corroded/shorting out F.L. could easily cause your problem.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
on my car i had this mystery electical problem. i had very little power at idle to everything. lights, sterio, heat, even the dam seat moved slow. then a couple days later my car would barely start. all the grounds were good. the positive lead to the starter wasn't open. the battery had a 12 volts. i was like wtf. then when i was messing with things trying to find the problem for some reason i took out the battery and notice that on the positive lead the wire that goes to the body harness was hanging on by a thread. the whole circuit for the entire car was pretty much completely open. i spliced in a new piece of wire and added a inch or two so it had some play. i would check that wire and make sure you battery is stable so even if that isn't your problem it won't be sometime later.

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
ive checked it all with no problems i even got under the car and was looking around and still didnt fing anything checked the voltage at the starter its all there wtf is wrong lol.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I had sort of the same problem. One day I went to start my car, turned the key to "start" and all the power went out. Recharged the battery and tried again, same thing. It ended up being loose wires on the positive side.

Try this (very simple, very cheap): first get copper stereo wiring (make sure to strip the rubber stuff off first obviously). Take the wires from the positive side out of the clamp (what I'm calling it, not sure of the technical name), hold them together and tightly wrap the copper wire around the set of wires on the pos. side. Put it back into the clamp and tighten the bolts as far as they can go. See what happens.

That's what I had to do to mine, took me all of 5 minutes and the car started right up after that.

Sorry if that's hard to follow.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
thebadz32;1215334 said:
my car is a 91 n/a chassies and im not finding a fuesable link in or around the engine bay fuse block

there on the front left under the hood behind the battery.

so do you have any lights at all? dash, or headlights ect.?

use said it had 13.9 volts right off the charger? or course thats jut a surface charge ,12.6 is fully chargerd anyhting higher is a 'surface charge'

what do you mean by 'power was flashing???'
and it got worse when you used windows/brakes, anything else, fan, rear defrost??

if all your cables/ FL are good it very well could be your battery, i would properly charge your battery.

ohh when it died how did you get it home? jumped it or bump started it?