Going with N/A-T , good or bad ???

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
I have a 89 supra N/A 5,speed that im lookin to make turbo , ive herd the good & the bad , on my 3rd engine, 1st one i tore apart the crank & pulley insted of gettin a new crank i got a used engine , cracked the head gasket on the second engine , n the 3rd 1s goin pretty dam good , she pulls nice from 2400 rpms to 4700 then it just laggs up to 6400 n hits rev limiter at 6700 rpms , a late spoolin turbo n a head gasket n would be great 4 my n/a :naughty:

I think if i run a apexi safc & a aem wideband uego controller to over ride the n/a ecu , a greddy/trust type manifold a 50trim turbo wth a t/4 exhuast manifold flange & a 3 inch v-band down pipe flange & 3 inch compressor intake, custom 3 inch mandrel bend down pipe & turbo elbow , drill a hole in the elbow n weld in a bolt that fits the screw for the bosch o2 on the wideband system, A 7mgte maf air with a k&n fipk filter ......

Now down to the block , im comming up on around 100k miles soo i wanna replace the head gasket & rebuild the cylnder head & put back on with arp head studs !!! be4 i put the head back on i was thinking if i should go with Nippon forged pistons , n eagle h rods , if i run the pistons ill have a lower compression & be able to run more boost , but if i stay with the pistons i have now i can only run 7-9 lbs a boost but 7-9 lbs on a n/a motor is like 14-16 on a turbo motor .........

Wanna hear what the pro's at supramania think !!!! hit me back .late.
MKIIIChucky

Last edited:

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Well If your gona do that work too the head and have the block apart for the gaskets might as get the stock turbo pistions for the lower compression so you could boost

oh and if your changing the AFM might as well get the Lexus afm
sounds like a good setup though for the n/a I was planing doing the same but I probly gona just swap a 7mgte in mine cause I got rod knock speaking of that make sure you get new oil pump too while the motors apart

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
supradan22 said:
oh and if your changing the AFM might as well get the Lexus afm

if he's using N/A electronics, the lex afm wont work, as the N/A's use a flapper type afm...

(basically the same reason that the n/a guys cant do the lex/550 upgrade...)

-shaeff

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
like shaeff said, you can't use the GTE or lex MAS unit. (totally different operating principles) as for the putting the turbo on an N/A motor, as long as you stay under 10psi and proper tuning, wont be a problem. if you are going to pull the head, then use a thicker MLS head gasket. it will lower the compression a bit. I have sucessfully ran a 7m motor @ 8psi and 10.0:1 compression for about 50,XXX miles before melting the #2 piston and that was because of a clogged injector come to find out latter, but the key thing hear is that i was using a full stand alone EMS. with a little bit of work, you can calibrate the stock N/A flap door MAS to run and idle fine with 550cc injectors which will work for around 6 to 8psi on stock compression.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
You probably should bo with the GTE electronics. The AFM, ECU, distrubuterless ignition, larger 440 injectors and what ever else there is, is more suited for the turbo. But people have successfully run the NA with just a turbo. But I think you'll run out of HP mods real soon with the flapper AFM and smaller injectors.

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
bluemax said:
You probably should bo with the GTE electronics. The AFM, ECU, distrubuterless ignition, larger 440 injectors and what ever else there is, is more suited for the turbo. But people have successfully run the NA with just a turbo. But I think you'll run out of HP mods real soon with the flapper AFM and smaller injectors.

i was wondering if the 7mgte ecu will plug into the n/a wiring harness :confused: & the flapper on the 7mge afm ive herd of people who customed the afm n pulled the flapper n they say its almost like a lex afm.... not sure tho !! im pickin up my safc 1 today , the kid doesnt have a instruction booklet to hook it up soo ima see if it works thru the 7mgte instructions , all the colors match up with the 89.5 - 91 ... i have the coilpack from a 7mgte also, n wanna get 550cc injectors, but i think ima just go with 440s

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
first off, the GTE computer and GE harness will not connect. second, the AFM's opperate totally different from eachother. the GTE unit sends a square wave digital signal to the ECU and the ECU measures the frequency of the digital signal to calculate the air flow where as the the GE unit is an annolge signal and the computer calcuates air flow based on the voltage that it receives. yeah, i am sure that with some good electronic's knoledge you could build a little black box of sort to make one work with the other, but it wont make any differance as the ECU still has the same look up tables for the amount of time to open the injector. so no change in fuel value. same thing goes for the coil pack useless without a GTE ECU and ignitor.

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
cjsupra90 said:
first off, the GTE computer and GE harness will not connect. second, the AFM's opperate totally different from eachother. the GTE unit sends a square wave digital signal to the ECU and the ECU measures the frequency of the digital signal to calculate the air flow where as the the GE unit is an annolge signal and the computer calcuates air flow based on the voltage that it receives. yeah, i am sure that with some good electronic's knoledge you could build a little black box of sort to make one work with the other, but it wont make any differance as the ECU still has the same look up tables for the amount of time to open the injector. so no change in fuel value. same thing goes for the coil pack useless without a GTE ECU and ignitor.

Can i still run a safc1 on my n/a ecu n afm, i was lookin at a wiring diagram for the turbo model ecu n most of the wires are in the same spots as the turbo , except air flow in n out , there just a open hole 2 splice into, theres nothin there!!!

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
If it were me, I'd go with GTE everything. Almost if not all of the high HP mods are only for GTE.
The Lexas mod is good, but you have to tune it for your injectors. And you have to use it with the GTE ECU. If you go with the Lexas, you should go with the 550 cc, otherwise you're wasting your money. The stock AFM is just fine for 440cc injectors.

The GE and GTE block is the same. The head is almost the same, and will work on both GE and GTE. Other than that, almost everything else is different.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
The GE and GTE blocks are not completely the same. The turbo block has a compression ratio of 8.4:1 while the NA has a compression ratio of 9.2:1. The pistons of the two motors are made from the same materials and by the same process, but the compression ratio is a major difference. All the items made for the GTE will bolt right up to the GE, but you do need to switch over to the GTE manifolds and electronics for it to be completely compatible.