Gimmick or Usable Mod?

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I saw that in a mag. I won't be the first one to try it - I'll tell you THAT much.

I'm pretty skeptical of new stuff that seems "ricey" [either looks shiney, or a certain way, OR "gain x horsepower" where x equals a measly amount - OR if it's an outrageous claim].
Maybe I need to take a risk once in awhile, but generally I like to stick with what's proven.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm going to call BS on this one. There is only so much power from the coil to play with, and increaseing the amperage means dropping the voltage - and it's higher voltage that makes for a bigger spark.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Well, when it's in the back of "Import Racer" [AKA Import Ricer] magazine, right next to the "supercharge anything" and "RAM power" intake ads, it tends to conjure the image of a Honda with a Supra wing, with 5-10 of those "add 3hp" mods.

Poatree

May 14, 2005
Edmonton
www.shiftin.com
p23531_1.gif
definitely

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
Here is a hint:

1) Air/fuel mixture in a chamber
2) Spark
3) Air/fuel mixture ignites by the spark plug, and progressively ignites the rest of the chamber mixture as the flame front travels.

It doesn't matter if the original spark that gets this going is bazillion times more powerful than it needs to be, it makes no difference at all to Hp.

Why should it? It's not the size of the wick on a dynamite that matters, it's the size of the dynamite itself, as long as the wick works well enough to get it to activate in the first place.