gilberjj update with zx14

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
well.... as sort of an update, many of you spatted that I'm an idiot for getting a zx14, and I wanted you to know, I'm still alive and well. I just turned 6k miles in the few months I've had it. I've only had a chance to take it to the track and I ran a best of a 10.25 @ 140. Here is how it looks as of yesterday.

p1096852_1.jpg

p1096852_2.jpg

p1096852_3.jpg

Speaking from experience now, nothing replaces a turbo car....... nothing. My bike now feels slow even!!!!!!! Cars just have a better pull to them, plus you can take passengers more easily. That being said, there is something special about the motorcycle community. Everyone looks out for one another, and there are rides and meets daily. I'm having a ton of fun on the bike, but I'll be back in the supra game as soon as I can afford it.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
Fuzz420;1096857 said:
Nice bike, i dont know much about them but i hear there fast as shit

well.... it isn't slow. Then again, most every bike is pretty fast when compared to a car. I raced a c6 z06 last week, but that's been the only car worth racing.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
The other day I was on a back road off of I-5 in south western Washington, and was "stuck" behind a couple on a very average Harley. Ever single biker that passed (and there were a ton out on this road that day) held out a hand to wave, twins and rice burners alike. I miss that feeling from when I used to ride. Im no long some crazy kid with a deathwish and dont ride anything like they guys you see posting on your tube alot, but I still enjoy riding.

Thats a sick bike you have there. Ive have owned several ZX6's and would love to own another.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
We spatted that you were an idiot because your post was something along the lines of 'hey I'm getting my first bike tomorrow, a zx14, who wants to race?'

Congrats on remaining w/ the living. Sometimes drivers make it challenging.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
gilberjj;1096877 said:
well.... it isn't slow. Then again, most every bike is pretty fast when compared to a car. I raced a c6 z06 last week, but that's been the only car worth racing.

For your bike, there should be no stock production car worth it.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
Topher E;1097653 said:
And holeh fawk you got rid of those chicken strips in 6k miles?!? I want to see some track videos of you.

it's pretty hard to not have chicken strips and not ride over your head. I don't mind having chicken strips. I love to corner, but if you carve to the limits of your tires, you'll be going to fast for the streets. I ride harder then most, but do it when I feel comfortable. I've almost gone through my second rear tire, so that tells you how much I'm accelerateing.

I'll be at pacific on friday (tomorrow). If I can get someone to video tape me (I'll have my video camara), then I should be able to upload the new vids.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
I raced at renegade raceway last friday and ran a personal best of 10.17 @ 146. My bike was getting back halfed by liter bikes so something was up. I called a performance shop I've been working with and the owner sent me the wrong map for my power commander. I'm going to Pacific Raceway this wednesday (weather permitting) to see if I can crack the 9's.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
gilberjj;1099286 said:
it's pretty hard to not have chicken strips and not ride over your head. I don't mind having chicken strips. I love to corner, but if you carve to the limits of your tires, you'll be going to fast for the streets. I ride harder then most, but do it when I feel comfortable. I've almost gone through my second rear tire, so that tells you how much I'm accelerateing.

I'll be at pacific on friday (tomorrow). If I can get someone to video tape me (I'll have my video camara), then I should be able to upload the new vids.

I guess you never seen people drag a knee in parking lots doing U turns? You dont have to be doing 100mph to tip the bike over to its limits.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
iwannadie;1108230 said:
I guess you never seen people drag a knee in parking lots doing U turns? You dont have to be doing 100mph to tip the bike over to its limits.

Yep, I have seen guys on 500cc bikes walk circles around on people who are pushing the liters....

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
for sure, I'm a firm believer in its the rider, not the bike in most cases, however, when doing 5 mph knee drags, it isn't scrubbing your tire off. The higher the speed, the more traction it requires, therefore scrubbing off more of your tire.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
gilberjj;1108479 said:
for sure, I'm a firm believer in its the rider, not the bike in most cases, however, when doing 5 mph knee drags, it isn't scrubbing your tire off. The higher the speed, the more traction it requires, therefore scrubbing off more of your tire.

Im not saying anything about your riding because Ive never seen it.

With that said, from my experience any amount of road to tire contact will make a visible mark on a New tire. It doesnt take a 100mph corner to get the tire to show wear. The people I know who go through rear tires like theres no tomorrow usually are slipping the tire too much causing it to wear. When I got my first bike(cruiser), I was spinning the rear and never knew. It never squealed or felt like it was spinning on me. After a month I had cords showing in the center of the tire.

I was just behind a sportbike tonight and saw a nice flat spot around the center of his tire. I saw him go around a turn with the bike basically sitting straight up idling though the turn at walking. He was also was hanging off the side with his knee sticking out, funniest looking thing. As soon as he cleared the turn it was wide open throttle.

You shouldnt worry about pushing the limits of the tire, youll be scrapping stuff long before the tire runs out of room. I have small strips on my tires(half a finger nail length maybe) but I scrap the pegs and cant lean over anymore. I never do any 100mph knee draggers but I scrap pegs now and then going around a turn and my tires show it.