Getting out an R154 ?!?!?!?!

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Well im getting ready to do my 5-spd swap into my N/A untill my turbo engine is built, But.......i got all the bolts, brackets, electrical lines, etc. outta the way.....got the tranny back 3-4 inches and it stopped. It wont go back in and it wont come out. Had somebody tell me to take out the clutch fork, but i didn't think you could do that with the clutch still attached. Let me know what you guys and girls think.....i need help cause i was gonna finish it tomorrow.

Thanks, Scotty

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
You have to pull the drivers side inspection cover off. Grab the end of the fork and give it a good pull. Then unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel, there are 6 bolts. Push the pressure plate and and clutch disk back onto the input shaft on the transmission.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
You're going to have the jack the front of the engine up. The tranny is just too close the tranny well to get out when the engine is level. Getting it off isn't too bad, but getting it back on is a pain in the ass. Like UberSupra, make sure to take off the clutch fork because you will kick yourself in the ass later if you don't. Trust me, I know for a fact.

Also, you can leave on the clutch and flywheel when pulling it off if you have to. Note to self though, the R154 is heavy. So, be careful.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
AF1JZ said:

Also, you can leave on the clutch and flywheel when pulling it off if you have to. Note to self though, the R154 is heavy. So, be careful.

Wow... it's been SOOO long ago... at least EIGHT YEARS or so??? I'd forgotten about it! I did my HKS-built auto-to-5spd swap... then FRIED the first 5spd and did it OVER the next week... on a GRAVEL floored garage (with plywood down) BY MYSELF working TWO jacks at ONCE with the car driven up onto RAMPS in the front, and the REAR lifted until the tires set on cinderblocks. What a PAIN to convert! (and YES, the R154 IS heavy!)

-crisp

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
I've already pulled the engine/tranny from the car....i can't believe im having this much trouble getting it off. I'll have to unbolt the fork and PP today. Hopefully i can get it separated. I just didn't want to pull my DD n/a engine to put it in is what sucks.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
The fork you can just pull out (takes a little wiggling and a hard tug). I would leave the PP bolted to the flywheel for two reasons:
1. the throwout bearing and pilot bearing are lined up already - so there should not be any binding on the input shaft
2. the 154 is heavy - why make it heavier with the PP and clutch?

And yes, you need to pull the driver's inspection plate to do it. Just be aware there is a little spring tension that helps hold the fork into place, but it will slide out with some tugging.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I remember trying to take my engine out for the first time, never knew the shift fork had to come out.. damn that was a long night.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Good stuff. That's the easy part. It is a blast to put back in. I did it myself and wanted shoot myself. Especially since it was on the pavement on jackstands. So, not much room to work with. Good luck though.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
AF1JZ said:
Good stuff. That's the easy part. It is a blast to put back in. I did it myself and wanted shoot myself. Especially since it was on the pavement on jackstands. So, not much room to work with. Good luck though.

Ugh yea I had to do this too. Middle of december, and it was raining/sleeting. By far the shittiest two hours of the month.