getting back into the supra

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Well I have the car for almost 2 years-
Bought it with a BHG. Replaced the gasket, and it still did not seal, that was year 1 then put it away for the winter
last year i bought a long block and swapped engins- after starting it up, lots of white smoke. Pulled the head off and found out the rear timing cover was not decked with the bock!!

I just got finished putting it all back together again. Had the timing cover machined, cometic head gasket. Got it all back together last night about 11, but it would not start. Checked the CPS today and sure enough it was in wrong!! thanks to the http://www.jblmk3.com/id92.htm web site, Got that corrected.
Car started up right away!!
Idles at about 800, good oil pressure. heats up to about half way!
I stillhave some light whisps of grey smoke comming out the exhaust :icon_sad:
the compression reads 165 -170 across all 6

Any insite into if I should be checking this, or just take it out for a drive would be great!

i still have to change the oil

But I just wanted to say hello again, stopped posting last year but have been lurking around

more to come!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
hey steve, long time no see!

glad to see you're still around. i remember your old thread about white smoke and whatnot. that was quite some time ago!

when i first started my car, (after a turbo swap) it smoked alot, then cleared up after about 15min of idling. it hasn't smoked since then. it *could* be residual coolant/buildup burning out of the exhaust. keep an eye on all your gauges, make sure the temp doesnt spike, and i say let it idle, then go for a short drive, come back home, check it all. stay out of boost until you're sure all is well.

edit: the smoke from my exhaust was grey, also.

-shaeff

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yeah, sounds like the miscelaneous crud that built up burning off of the exhaust. Take it for an easy test drive then check for leaks and fluid levels and such...

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
I agree. I assume you looked at/replaced the valve seals while you swapped engines? If the smoke doesn't clear up and/or it seems to only happen when first starting the car -- that's the 1st thing I'd check

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Thanks guys!
Changed the Oill this morning, charged up the baqttery, added some air to the tires.
took it out for a quick little spin around the block ( no plates etc)
The smoke seems to have cleared up, but when I step on it a bit, over 2500 rpm the check engine light comes on.
When I pull the codes it shows a 11, intermittent power to the ECU.
I do have the correct grounds on by the intake and exhaust and the one down by the tranny, the big one from the battery to the block.

Any thoughts??

The second time around I tried to get on it a bit more and I could hear the turbostart to spin up then at about 2700 the light comes on and it just stumbles, no boost at all.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
yes, make sure everything is grounded! it never hurts to have perfect grounds! :)

-shaeff

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
I had that code, and it was a problem with the harness going to the computer. The ECU power source wire. It has multiple power sources, so it can still run. I found that if I put my glove box in, it ran like crap, but with it out, it ran perfect. Finally just fixed the wire and all is well now :)

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Checked all the grounds again
checked the connectors at the ecu
fully charged the battery
reseated all the fuses

problem gone-

car goes to 3500 no errors- boost started to build!!
great feeling.

I am sure there are lots of problems lurking around on a car that has now sat around for over two years but its encoraging that this piece is comming together.

Steve

NeverNZ

Brock Samson
Apr 3, 2005
NJ
sorry to bring up an old thread, but just wanted to say congrats to you steve for finally getting it running