Getting a Turbo Supra!!! What should I look for?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Make sure it doesn't have a BHG right away...other major problems (other than the engine) would be the suspension and undercarriage (supras like to crack the rear subframe)...everything else should be pretty obvious. Also make sure you try everything (make sure everything in the car functions, and note the things that don't).

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Long test drive......ask the owner if he has a couple of hours to drive the car somewhere with you (you pay for gas, obviously).....any problems should show themselves on a nice trip....

bigunitpitcher22

BoL Spartan051
Jun 13, 2006
vancouver, WA
www.myspace.com
Checked for BHG when I went to go check it out. Suspension needs to be replaced, obvious and will get fixed. Speedo cable needs replacing (researched fix) Would that be easy to do being a complete novice?
Thanks for the help!

suprflyusmc1

Dec 13, 2006
Ramona
bigunitpitcher22 said:
Good Idea. I think I shall.
Make sure the owner has the title, and not just a bill of sale. Here in cali, the owner just can't write up a bill of sale and give you the car. You have t actually have the title.

suprflyusmc1

Dec 13, 2006
Ramona
bigunitpitcher22 said:
Whats the reason behind that?
Its the law, that's all I know. Really pisses me off. If they don't have a tittle, they have to fill out a form that orders them a new title, and then they can complete the sale. Untill you get the actual title signed off to you, the car isn't legaly yours. At elast not in CA.

UkiSash

no mor sup :(
Jul 12, 2005
Weth CT
suprflyusmc1 said:
Its the law, that's all I know. Really pisses me off. If they don't have a tittle, they have to fill out a form that orders them a new title, and then they can complete the sale. Untill you get the actual title signed off to you, the car isn't legaly yours. At elast not in CA.

Well with out the title you cant do anything with the car in ANY state. Stolen or Lost.

But definitely go for that ride.

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
Check for black, blue or white smoke out of the exhaust. Do you smell coolant? Check those hoses - there are so many. Does it start up right away? Does it stall? Does it stall after high RPMs or when you stop at a red light or stop sign? If the car is parked, check that space when the car is moved. Is there fluid on the ground? (coolant, oil). Does it sound right at idle? The RPM at idle should be around 700 RPM. Listen for backfires when driving.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
One thing for sure is to turn the car on, and let it idle until it's up to temp. Then give it some gas, that should uncover any oil or coolant burns.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Ask to take off teh intake and check the condition of the turbo compressor wheel, it will tell you one, if it needs to be replaced/rebuilt, two, how hard the car was driven, three if anything foreign has gotten into the engine to cause unseen damage.

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
The biggest thing to worry about with the MK3 is the blown head gasket issue. Ask the owner if the engine has a metal head gasket. Ask what the bolts were torqued to.

I would open the hatch and uncover the trunk area -- expose the tire well back there. Is there moisture or water? Is it all rusted out?

Obviously issues will arise when test driving it for an extended period. Then you go from there.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
bigunitpitcher22 said:
Checked for BHG when I went to go check it out. Suspension needs to be replaced, obvious and will get fixed. Speedo cable needs replacing (researched fix) Would that be easy to do being a complete novice?
Thanks for the help!

Find out how long the speedo has been dead. It wont read mileage if its not working, how many miles on the car. For all you know the speedo stopped clocking miles 60k+ miles ago.