Gettin' Low

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
How are you boys not rubbing the hell out of your fender liners and mashing up your fenders running super low?

I don't like a car that's bouncy so I keep my coils pretty soft, but if I make the wheel gap flush with the fender i rub absolutely everything.

What are you guys doing or is it that everyone is rubbing and replacing fenders lol

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I don't go that low.. my opinion is that if it's that low.. it's no longer a functioning car. Can't go over speed bumps.. scrape everywhere you go.. I'm dropped on eibachs and I still hate it sometimes.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Backlash2032;1988362 said:
I don't go that low.. my opinion is that if it's that low.. it's no longer a functioning car. Can't go over speed bumps.. scrape everywhere you go.. I'm dropped on eibachs and I still hate it sometimes.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

This is exactly what worries me about lowering my car. I hate scraping on anything, it is just a horrible noise and feeling.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I rub my fender liners. With wider tires it pushes and pulls on the fender too.

It's not that bad tho.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I found that the Eibach's were very easy to live with in th real world.
Hardly ever scraped going over speed bumps, etc.

I think alot of people end up rubber their fender liners because they eventually lose a few of the fasteners here and there during maintainence.
If they have all of their screws/ bolts, I think they do pretty well, until you go crazy low(can't see the top of the tire).

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Well, what i have is larger than normal tires.. For instance i have 275/45/18 on the rear which fills the wheel gap and it never rubs, I have less than 1 finger of gap... However, on the front, I have 245/45/18's as well looks nice and fills the gap but rubs everything and the big mistake is I didn't adjust the bump stops... So I never scrape anything on the floor at all however, my brand new fender lines are trashed (few years old) so I've decided to raise it up a bit so I have 2 fingers on the front because I HATE having to worry about a car.

THMotorsports

Softer coils is going to be part of your problem. It will allow for a lot of suspension travel. While suspension travel is needed, you don't need to have much to get a proper ride out of your coils. I run on STANCE SuperSports and Swift springs. I have my rates at 14k/10k which is nominal for street/race with about 1/4" gap and the ride isn't that bad (subjective I know). Remember, you can have stiff springs but it's all in the dampening that allows the springs to move the right way. PM me if you want more information on my setup.

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
It may be the sidewall. I used to run 275/35/18 all around with zero rubbing in the rear and very minimal rubbing in the front. However, I had a Tokico/Eibach setup and rubbed on the fenders, which were rolled, as I did not run fender liners. Then again, we don't have the same weather in SoCal.

Ninja Edit: My wheels were 18x9.5 +35 all around.

IchibanEye

Supramania Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
The Honeycomb Hideout
It helps to keep things in the 16''-17'' wheel sizes also. Of course always keeping in mind offset and tire size. I'm dropped a bit over 2'' front and rear with no rubbing issues.

I however always look way ahead on the road and keep a nice distance between other vehicles. That allows me some reaction time to get around junk on the road.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya sounds like softer springs or bad adjustment if coilovers. . Side wall is a bit high for me. I run 35. And no finger gap between fender and tire. Only time it rubs on liners is big bumps.