GE>GTE Swap finished..for now!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
yankiwi said:
Bigzavs,

The wires are MSD 7M-GE wires. They are longer than GTE ones obviously. They have the correct plug end and you have to modify the coilpack end to fit the GTE coilpack. The set I got came with that end unassembled. I cut to length then cut the brass electrode thingy in half, and squeezed it a little to reduce the diameter to snugly fit in the coilpack. Then cut the grey rubber boot, which starts out as a 90deg elbow. I cut it so it is straight, it then squeezes in the coilpack hole and makes a good weatherproof seal. I was concerned about the wires coming loose as I am not utilising the stock locking clip dealy, but they are on really tight. If you search for Bigaarons setup you can use one set of wires. With my setup the two shortest NA wires were just too short to reach my coilpack. Actually they did reach but it was too tight for my liking. I ended up with 2 sets of wires to make it work. I might move my coilpack down to where bigaarons is, then sell my spare set of NA wires.

I will try to get a pic to explain all the crap I just wrote.

EDIT to add pic

In order: My modified wire, the electrode before assembly/cutting, the boot before cutting, a stock NA wire

wires.JPG

I did the same thing for my car with their 8.5mm wires and bought their minicrimper to put the ends on!

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Yep, the MSD wires come with a little crimper that you can use to put the ends on right.

Next update from me will be a turbo rebuild. My stock CT26 just shit the bed at 10psi:cry:

I have a kit already, and have a local shop for balancing, so I am gonna try to rebuild it myself. If I fook it all up I will just get another one. The one I just killed sat around for a year or so before I used it. I suppose the seals dried up, or maybe it was just time, I have no idea what milage it had.

The good news is with my custom oil lines I can have the turbo off in 20-30 minutes, and two beers:biglaugh:

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Woot!!!

Turbo is rebuilt and boosting good... NO smoke:biglaugh:

I was a little cautious about rebuilding my own turbo, but I shouldn't have been. It is pretty easy. Follow the intructions and its all good.

Looking at the write-up before I started made it look complex, but once you rip it open it is self explanatory. Pretty simple turbo. If you can do rebuilds/swaps on your own car you can do this too.

Pics of teardown.

turbo1.JPG

turbo4.JPG

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Here's a couple of pics rebuilt, ready to go back on the car.

turbo3.JPG

turbo2.JPG

We will see how long it goes for, I still won't be suprised if it shits itself in a spectacular way:evil2: