Gauges light up but nobody is home

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
My gauges that I ended up swapping in don't work at all, nothing is moving but the lights light up just fine, read a thread that said it could be a non-airbag cluster in an airbag equipped car and that it needs extra grounds, but the OP didn't go into specifics :/
So if anybody has an idea I would greatly appreciate it so I can quit worrying about overheating my 1J swap

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Should of posted this in the other engine section. This is a 1j swap correct? If so what kind of 1j? What do you have your M1 pin 6 going to?

Last edited:

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
S.A. supra;1939580 said:
Should of posted this in the other engine section. This is a 1j swap correct? If so what kind of 1j? What do you have your M1 pin 6 going to?

I figured since it was the cluster that it was more of a general discuss topic.
It's a Soarer 1J with a harness from tweakd, engine runs fine (I think)
A d I have no idea what it goes to, when I get home tomorrow I'll pull the cluster and check

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
The m1 plug is behind the glovebox by the ecu. The m1 pin 6 is Brown. I had the jza70 it was a simple brown goes with brown. When I did my 2j swap my gauge did the same as yours till I grounded my cluster.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
jetjock;1921275 said:
Great. Then move power from A 10 to C 8. You don't care if it matches the schematic, all you care about is it works. Chalk it up to the price paid for swapping clusters. If you still can't get it to work take it outside and do a mag dump on it with that new Glock...

So just take the live wire from the #10 spot on plug "A" and move it to the #8 position on plug "C" and my gauges should start working? Do I completely remove the wire from A-10 or just splice into it?

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I had to move the wires around... Not jump but de-pin and move I had to extend one or two of the wires but basically just make the wires match the tewd
And I had to move more than just that one wire...

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I have a crap-load more wire than what the diagram shows so I have no idea what to change, every pin is filled and at least it started before, now I'm screwed if I can't get it running tomorrow, it clicks like its about to start but nothing else :(

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Check your fuzes you might have just blown one.... Compare the tewd to your plug and make a list of what wires out of the ones it shows are in the wrong position
Then double check that they come from where they are supposed to come from

the tewd matched my 88 and the cluster... My 90 was different so after verifying that the wires in the 90 were the same colors as the tewd and came from the locations listed there

I moved them to the locations that the tewd showed... I also had extra wires that didn't require moving for the cluster to work

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Well I realized I had the old plugs that were in the back of the cluster when I bought it down here. So I made everything match them on the car including moving the yellow-W/double silver wire to the C-8 spot (used the piece that came with the cluster to extend it) but now I have 5 wires that have no home :/
And is it just the 3 main plugs to worry about? Cuz one of the small plugs off to the side has 2 wires that don't match

Still haven't fixed the no start issue

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Replaced the fuses and it starts and runs
Well tach, oil pressure, and boost/vac work (speedo isn't hooked up)
So now I just gotta figure out temp and fuel (guessing it has something to do with the 5 leftover wires)