Gauge Clusters

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
Ok, so I tried swapping in a '89 M/T turbo gauge cluster into my '90 A/T NA chassis. I couldn't get ANY of the gauges to work. I had an extra '89 gauge cluster and tried it with the same results. I put the '90 A/T NA cluster back in and everything works except the tach and speedo (suspect the cable or tranny gear). This is after I swapped in a '89 7MGTE R154 in place of a 7MGE W58. First question -- any reason why the '89 gauge clusters won't work? The plugs all plugged in the same. Second question, any idea why my tach doesn't work with the CPS, but worked fine with a distributor?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
There may have been differences in the years between clusters, I don't know for sure..

But the reason the tach works fine with the distributer and not the CPS is because they use different signals. On the tach driver board there are different values of resistors you can swap out. There's a picture floating around that will guide you

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
Perfect! Now if only I can find the picture...lol.

EDIT: I did some searching and pretty sure I found the picture. Going out to mess with it now! THANKS!

Edit #2: I swapped in a turbo tach and all is good! Thanks!

Last edited: