Gas pedal/Accelerator question

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
I've only ever driven one Supra, mine, and I've noticed that the accelerator is fairly "heavy", takes a decent amount of effort to press. Is that usual for our Supra's? Most of the other imports I've driven had pretty "light" pedals, easy to press, so I'm wondering if maybe my cable is binding or if the heavy pedal is typical for MkIII's. Thanks...

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
Mines definitely "stiffer" than some cars ive driven, but others have been pretty much the same. I like the pedal feel in the Supra, really easy to keep a steady throttle.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
It is definitely a "heavier" pedal than most gas pedals. I like it much more, easier for throttle control with the extra resistance IMO. If I go from my Supra to my Corolla though, it's a night and day difference with how the pedal feels and usually results in revving the Corolla a little higher than anticipated at times...

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Thanks for the quick replies. How big a PITA is the cable to pull? And could it be cleaned up, lubed, and re-used, or is replacement the best way to go? Not trying to cheap out, just wondering what's feasible and what isn't.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
The things that make the pedal feel heavy and non responsive

Carpet bulging binding the pedals

The little garmets and washers missing inside the mid throttle plate creating excessive slack

Too many springs to pull the throttle back

In the pedal itself there is at least 2-3 features that make it suck

Light counter weight, not as strong of a spring, a non stiff pedal that pivots.
To fix the pedal itself do the mod I described using the 2000 celica GTS brushed aluminum race pedal set and it will fix the pedal itself.
In short you cut the celica pedal rod and weld it along the counter weight about 2" there is a write up in there due to photo limitations I had to take them off my acount.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1381687 said:
The things that make the pedal feel heavy and non responsive

Carpet bulging binding the pedals

The little garmets and washers missing inside the mid throttle plate creating excessive slack

Too many springs to pull the throttle back

In the pedal itself there is at least 2-3 features that make it suck

Light counter weight, not as strong of a spring, a non stiff pedal that pivots.
To fix the pedal itself do the mod I described using the 2000 celica GTS brushed aluminum race pedal set and it will fix the pedal itself.
In short you cut the celica pedal rod and weld it along the counter weight about 2" there is a write up in there due to photo limitations I had to take them off my acount.

I also noticed the stiffer feel of the pedal in the 91 supra, so I took out some of the springs. After a while the throttle kept getting stuck open while driving so I put the springs back, and eventually got used to the feel, but I never did get a chance to see what was getting stuck. It did feel great with some of the springs out though.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Some good ideas/observations guys, thanks. Think I do have a problem somewhere in the cable/conduit, since as I push the accelerator down it moves a little, seems to hang for a second then jumps like there's something binding at that point then releasing. Guess I'll pull it and see what the story is.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
jmanbball;1381947 said:
My automatic 91 is a lot heavier than my 89 manual.

Cause of the cable to the tranny.

Same with the linkage with cruise control and everything on it, more springs = more effort.

But it's normal for the most part, all the the controls are a bit heavy.