Gas leak

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
I recently removed my intake manifold, fuel pressure regulator and the hoses that run to the fuel rail. I recently got my car started and it's leaking gas. About a drop of gas per second and it really smells. What could be causing this leak? I'm going to recheck all my fuel lines.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Have you checked the injector o rings? Leave a line loose?

Get a flash light and a mirror and look for the leak.

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
So i checked it out with a flashlight and it looks like it's dripping in between the #3 and #4 injector. There's a pool of gas in the intake manifold right below them. So you say a poor seal in the injector o-ring could cause this. That's probably what it is although strange since I didn't actually change the O-rings and they were working fine last time it was running.

I labeled my injector clips and installed them in the right order. Just for interest sake what would happen if I reversed the injector wiring plugs for 3 and 4. Would the car even run, and could this possibly cause a leak.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Car could run.

The injector clip colors go 1white 2brown 3white 4brown 5white 6brown.

You dont have to remove the o rings for them to not leaks. They see a lot of heat so its easy for the rubber to get brittle and crack and leak. Also if there not installed correctly they could leak but my money is on the o rings them selves and since there so cheap might as well replace them if you have to take everything apart again.

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
K cool, I'll check that out tomorrow. After having a look at the fuel lines coming off the pressure regulator and the pulsation damper I think I hooked them up incorrectly.

This is the TSRM link: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=37

It's hard for me to see from that diagram, are there better pictures from actual supra's that show the routing of those two lines? Also if this is the problem could I have damaged anything?

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
I found a good diagram: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Media/Supra/Library/EPC/Figures/MF3828A.gif
I have the pulsation damper line and FPR installed correctly for sure.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Looking in my basement I found a copper washer I bought for the pulsation damper. I installed it without one on the bottom and was going to replace it once it came in and then forgot about it. I bet that it's leaking fuel out the bottom and dripping along the fuel rail due to this. I'm going to replace the missing copper washer and check the leak again.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
I had a similar leak after doing my swap. Even after replacing the o-rings and insulators. I swapped #3 & #4 injectors and the leak stopped and hasn't returned since. And yes, you'll definitely need both crush washers for the damper. And listen to Poodles. This is how I pinpointed the source of my leak.

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
Thanks good advice, yeah i guess with that leak it's probably running quite lean. I'll install the crush washer and use the diagnostic method to see if the leak still continues.

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

What's the technique for removing the pulsation damper with the intake manifold still installed? Would an angled wrench do the trick?

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
Okay so pulled the pulsation damper and sure enough one copper washer was missing and a small one was installed on the top, making a gap between the damper and it's connection. I replaced both washers and tightened the damper. When I run the fuel pump, gas shoots out the top of the damper. A lot of gas is shooting out, does this mean the damper is blown or is my fuel pressure just off. I can see the fuel pouring out the top of the damper and it just looks abnormal, would a worn damper just start doing this suddenly?

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
So i replaced the damper with a new one, and it's not leaking anymore. However gas is still pouring out in my engine bay, so i'm going to replace the injector o-rings. Is there a good way to check if it's the cold start injector? I recently removed the CSI so maybe I installed it incorrectly. Also my fuel pressure regulator has it's vacuum line connected directly to a vacuum line that conects an aftermarket BOV to the vacuum line in the back of the intake manifold. It's bypassing the fuel up VSV and all the metal lines on that metal piping assembly are blocked off.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
At least one leak it stopped. I would recommend replacing all the rubber, o-rings and insulators. As for the CSI, make sure you reinstalled the crush washers if you disconnected the line from the CSI.

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
I removed each of the injectors, on injector 3 the grommet was ripped in half and completely cracked. The O-ring also had a tear in it. Also the spacers with the black tube around them were installed with the black part toward the head and the other end towards the fuel rail. From looking at the TSRM that is the incorrect direction so I flipped them. I hope this fixed the problem.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The fpr should have its own small vac line that goes to the metal pipes on the front of the intake manifold.

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
Yeah that's what I was thinking. The previous owner has it hooked up with the BOV and a port that runs to the back of the head. I bought a new fuel up VSV to hook up. I idled my car for 5 mins and no signs of the leak.