Gas Gauge

FatalStylez

Dec 24, 2008
Rolla, Missouri
So I was wondering how accurate they are. In my 89 Turbo my gas light will be on and needle on empty. But when I fill up it will only take 13 gallons. And its supposed to hold 18.5. Anybody else have this problem?? And when its completely full it is right on the Full mark

slowpra na-t

Permanently Banned
Oct 16, 2008
murrieta ca
mine does the same thing... perfect when full but still got a ton of fuel at empty. i think that my fuel light is correct because it wont turn on until it is way deep into the E. does your light ever turn on?

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Lucky, had my car cut off before the light came on on the highway.

Looking for more accurate methods of detection or re-calibration

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
sounds crazy but I heard there are 2 gallons that are unusable???I read it here in the forums but dont remember where. (not all the information is entirely accurate here so this statement may be false)

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I can add ~13.5 when the light comes on. The needle hasn't worked right in a couple years. I plan on checking the floater when I replace the fuel pump.

Most I've ever added was 15.5 trying to make it to the gas station when I first bought it, and I barely made it there. (picked up from a mechanic who lived way out in the middle of nowhere)

INFEX

Jul 30, 2008
NJ
how can i tell if the floater is faulty or not working properly? my gas gauge sometimes drops to E and sits there, but i had just filled it up and then sometimes it would fix itself... what would be the cause? if it's the floater how do i diagnosis it? thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
for the first year i had this car i could only get 12.5 and thats it from empty. one day i got 15.5 and now all i get is around 13. my old n/a i could get 16 everytime go figure. but i know my needle is off on this car.

i thought our gas tanks were only a 16.5 gal capicity and the mk4s were 18.5?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
5 gallon for reserve is pretty common I thought. The light on my supra and jeep comes on with about 5 gallons left. I never go below 1/4 tank unless I have to though.