Gas door will not open?

Turbo Targa

Sep 1, 2005
Before doing the HG the gas door opened once perfectly fine. I took it over to a gas station, pulled the lever and voila.

Now it wont? Any mechanical way to do it without ripping it off?

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
The little spring that pops the door open broke on mine. The temporary solution was to have someone pull on the door as I pulled the release. The permanent solution was a new gas door w/ spring.

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
happened to mine, i just pulled up the carpet and made the tension tighter. my brother once just removed the panel in the hatch and there was a manual way of opening it from there.

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
had same problem when i 1st got my supra , gas door worked fine till the second day i went to get gas n the dam thing wouldnt open ... when i got it open i took out the the plastic piece that screws into the door , went to ace hardware & picked up a magnet , been workin great ever since !!!! lol

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
The 'strong' magnet sounds like a good, cheap fix if the cable breaks. I had wondered about what to do. I think if you end up pulling the interior panel to manually release it, you could attach a small wire to the latch and then pull it from the inside of the cargo area.
I would think that trying to replace the cable is a major headache.:icon_mad:

JDM 1JZ

I hate Tires
Aug 31, 2005
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
or you can reach into the door inside of the trunk and just manually open the door, u press the switch where the spring is and it pops. i do it to mine all the time

Supra5MGTE

Nov 11, 2005
Tampa, FL
my 4runner does the same thing. and our supra is starting it. I'm debating getting a spring and putting it there, so it's pushing outward on the door.

Turbo Targa

Sep 1, 2005
I removed that little side panel on the right side of the trunk but I couldn't see a way of reaching the cable. I didn't want to tug on anything and worsen the situation. I will have my gf come out to the shop and help me next time, good to know I am not the only one with this problem!

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
its a pita, but if you've got small hands just reach in and there is a little button in the removable panel on the pass. side in the hatch. just push it and the door will open, i've had to do that to my mine for almost 6 months, now that i've removed my sub box i'm gonna run a new wire back to the pull switch by the door.

later,
ross