gas cap wont open

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Quick question which I'm sure has an easy answer: My brother lives in DC while his car sits at my parents home in PA and I went to get his car inspected and needed to stop and get gas. I pulled up on the gas door release and the door wont open.......I even wedged something under the lever while trying to pry the door open. It seems like the black plunger wont retract to release the lid. Can I remove the trunk interior to get to the cable?

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Don't think you even need to remove the panels. There is a little access panel that comes off that you may be able to get to the cable through.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
It is a bitch to get to! You will need to get your whole arm into that hole. It's even worse trying to get it all back together with a new latch. It can be done though. Also, I believe I have opened one with a screwdriver on an old car where paint didn't matter

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Be very careful prying it. You have a 90% chance of snapping that black plunger.
I would reach from inside and just pull on the mechanism.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
It is indeed a bitch, sounds like your cable has stretched which is also mounds of fun to replace. As said above, your entire arm is needed in this process as you'll be stuffing it into the access panel. I think with the antenna motor removed it's a bit easier to get to but I could be wrong.