Fun Run: My basically stock 87t vs. 92 sc400

jmoneydtb

Old Skool Kool Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006
mobile, al
First off, this is not a kill by any means, my best friend and I did this just to get a baseline on my car.
I just bought the car Friday night from Forcedtorque, and just got back in from doing the street/hangout thing.

My car: 87 turbo/5spd
cone filter
lightweight flywheel
flowmaster muffler
stock boost

His finacee's car: 92 sc400 auto
K&N drop in
true duel straight with H-pipe from front cat's back to stock mufflers

First run, I was in 3rd around 2800, he down shifted to 2. He says go and we hit it at the same time. He puts a bumper on me before I spool then stops pulling as hard but gets out a car length on me by the time we shutdown (I was at about 6000 in 3rd.)
2nd run, I go from 2nd at around 3200 and he doesn't downshift so I immeadiatly get about a car on him. I shift at around 55-5600, he starts creeping back up on me. I go into 4th (shifting at around 5600 again) and we shut down shortly there after and I still had about a fender, maybe a little less, on him.
This actually surpised me slightly as I was expecting him to pull a bit harder for my car being so close to stock. He was fairly impressed as well, which I take as a high compliment coming from a mkiv owner that is on a t04r/th400 setup that has gone 6.70 @ 96 throught the 1/8th on a hot day. The sc's best time to date is 9.49 in the 70's. Needless to say, I LOVE MY CAR!!! THANK YOU SCOTT!!!!

Last edited:

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
^:rofl:

I've come to the realization that a mostly stock SC400 and a mostly stock MA71 hang with close encounters of eachother.

A couple of us, during Chicago, played a little bit, with an 87T with open exhaust, filter and a Walbro, and the SC400 just had a filter and a Walbro...and the Supra pulled just a 'hair' bit more...but it was shocking how similar they pulled.

Good 'kill', and congrats on your new 87T! ;)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Good deal James. Now I see why Scott wanted you to pay it up front before you got to take possession of it...............:biglaugh:

jmoneydtb

Nov 6, 2006
mobile, al
Thanks for the comments guys! From riding in the sc I figured they would be close, just not quite that close. I have a fmic and Greddy Type-s BOV on my z31 that I will probably be putting on as soon as I can get a hard pipe kit. I will more than likely be gutting the converter at the same time as well, just for a little more pick me up.

Jay: Yeah, I'm pretty sure he knew I was gonna play the first night I had it out. But I can't complain at all about the deal he did for me. Just have to take off the turbo timer and give it back to him some time soon. Scott has to be one of the best people to do buisness with, ever. I will have to step it up soon though as Scott should have his car running shortly! I can't be losing to a RED! :biglaugh:

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
dbsupra90 said:
your take off rpm is a little low, esp the 2800 rpm. also, why did you short shift?
congrats tho, glad you are having fun.

i wouldnt shift any higher than 5600rpm, after that the power dies out.

nice kill. now get to just under fuel cut and a tune (afc or w/e) and take out some vettes.

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
ForcedTorque said:
It may take a while, but James is thinking more like MPU..........Monster Performance Upgrades. He wants to kill Bill's MKIV, not Bill's wife's SC400. And Bill's car is pretty bad ass.
nice! that is a great goal!!

jmoneydtb

Nov 6, 2006
mobile, al
I feel the love now that I am a true member of the Supra family. :D

Killing Vettes and such will come soon enough, I have to take a little time to learn the car first and save up some money for upgrades. A buddy of mine has offered me a new in box MAFT-PRO unit for cheap and I already have a deal worked out for a DDP. I'm probably not going to go over about 9-10psi though until I get money for the Titan MHG and some ARP studs. Scott did a 8.2 through the 1/8 with a cone filter and 3" exhaust on 10psi in his grey car.

Scott: That may take a VERY long while. He should go 6.4-6.5 now with new ported intake mani and regear, then he is talking about a 75 shot. Think about his car on 116 race gas, the meth, and a shot of gas....:love:

Jay: Thanks for the offer! I may be dropping you a pm in the next month or so to discuss some pipe buisness. The IC is opposite in/out so I'm going to need a bit more pipe than usual to come back across. But it is a bar and plate style (spearco core I think) and the measurements are 24x5.5x3, I think, again. I just have to fend off all the spider and such to get it off the car. Hope I can do it without having to take that bumper off again.

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
Just got it and already treating it right :).

Im glad your finally a supra owner man I know you have been awaiting this day for some time now! I still have a BIC DDP at my place with your name on it (literally I got bored with a sharpie :) )

later
BJ

blksupratt

Aug 28, 2007
theodore, al
I can finally post, and just let me know when yall are ready to take on the mkiv it's sitting here waiting, and besides I would welcome the chance to race something other than trailored, big tire, domestics.

Bill