fuel pump question

SupraBro

Hey guys, so me and my friend picked up a 87 turbo a couple of days ago for a dd. And one thing that is bothering me is that the people before us did the fuel pump mod on a factory fuel pump. I saw it and asked them if it had a walbro in it and they said it was the factory one:yikes: The resistor and relay are missing. Is this something i should be worried about? Should i just see if it last?

Thanks for any info

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Your fuel pressure will still be regulated via the stock FPR, so I would think the pump wouldn't hurt anything if you upgraded. Just remember, fuel is one of the few parts that going cheap on can bite you in the long run. ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
There have been a number of counterfeit Walboro pumps end up on Ebay over the years, always best to get parts vital to engine operation from a reputable and well known source. Is possibly leaning out and frying an engine due to a Chinese made knockoff fuel pump worth saving $40? Not a chance I'd take, but to each their own...

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Ditto. I'd buy the pump from a reliable source. The Mk4 Denso pump is probably worth it, too. Drop-in, plug 'n play fitment too. Reliability is a good thing in the fuel system!

As for using it on the stock system, it certainly won't hurt anything.