fuel pump as an oil pump ?

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
I would like to know if it is possible to use a fuel pump in place of an oil scavenging pump for use with a turbo setup. All the descent oil pumps ive run across are quite pricey . ive seen some fuel pumps with AN fittings. thanks in advance

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
TooGoode;1384803 said:
you are kidding right? and whats with the photoshopped murdered supra in the sig? epic fail. /thread

Stfu cheddarhead

I don't think a fuel pump could move enough oil...it would have to be very light oil for it to work as the way a fuel pump works it literally pumps gas threw the elecronic internals of the electric motor! Oil will slow it down alot and probably pop a fuse....does your new turbo setup not let you have a nice turbo drain?

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
VDO do a gearbox pump that's been used with mixed success (I use one for my Diff cooler and it looks just like an intank fuel pump)

Where they fall over is the Turbo Drain is HOTnFROTHY so it cooks the pump and lets it cavitate a lot then they fail.

Another alternative is an old School Holly Red fuel pump they work fine but are noisy running as a scavenge due to the cavitation issue.

I'm using a TurboWerx scavenge pump here and it's almost silent running dry.

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the info guys i think ill def look int the vdo and holley blue. I dont care how loud it is . So def an option . The oil temp will not be a problem as this will be a prototype for an electric turbo using a t3 4t , so no exhaust to heat it ,but i do want to retain the oil pressureised bearing since i know it can handle real turbine speeds..........Also what do you think is a good minimum operating pressure seeing as the holley blue max's at 14 psi.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
952-2_b.jpg

29901390002_large.jpg

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Good luck finding an electric motor that will spin a turbo impeller fast enough to make boost.........
A typical turbo turns around 100,000 rpm.
Your not going to get there with an electric motor.

I wish I had a free head gasket for every one of these 'electric supercharger' ideas that popped up somewhere.
They don't work, they have never worked.

By the way, forget anything I said about a holley pump,
I don't want to be part of this, and I will most likely delete my other post.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
lowtaco;1385949 said:
Just like a non-turbo RX7 guy to use one of these. Gotta love the over-flow hose going to the electric motor.....epic fail!!!

Epic fail is right, look closely at the 'engine',
is that not a Mazda rotary ?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
lowtaco;1385949 said:
Just like a non-turbo RX7 guy to use one of these. Gotta love the over-flow hose going to the electric motor.....epic fail!!!

::dunce:: custom water injection, havent you heard of it?:sarcasm:

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
not a blige motor!!!!!!!!! a conventional exhaust driven turbocharger . i have a design to spool it with electric assist. the impeller shaft is not directly linked to the motor so i dont need a verry power full motor it will be about 4 times as eficient as the thomas knight system but only draws 60 amps at full bore . ALL I WANA KNOW IS HOW MUCH MINIMUM OIL PRESSURE A TURBO'S BEARINGS NEEDS TO OPERATE !

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Hang on a second here do you want to use the pump as a scavenge or a pressure pump for the Turbo?

Only reliable one I found in searching to use as a pressure stage is the TurboWerx the others I lised would be scavenge only.

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
yes ij it will be used as a pressure pump . i checked out the turbowerx and it would definatly work for my application, but its about 100 bucks more than i budgeted for but i guess you got to pay to play ...........thanks ij you were very help full every body else can suck an egg (you offered no real information). by the way people there are electric superchargers that actualy produce 5-10 psi , but they are $3,000+ and require multiple battery's . i am well aware that a plastic fan can not produce enough to feed an engine let alone boost . if i were planing on using a blige motor like some have posted pics of earlier i wouldn't need an oiling system now would i.