fuel cut out at about 5 lbs

suprafast

Apr 13, 2009
mountlake terrace
i just bought a 87 turbo supra. and i have a fuel cut problem. it has the aftermarket hks blowoff valve and 5 quart innercooler set up. i can get through first gear just fine but once i get into sec my fuel cuts out at 5lbs of boost. some ppl say it could be my fuel filter. i cant find the other one, and the one in the front is over passed by the fuel pressure regulator. any advice?

suprafast

Apr 13, 2009
mountlake terrace
idk, all i know is its fuel cut off cuz right as it hits 5 lbs in every gear but 1st its studders and wont go any faster and spudders, my engine light comes on everytime it happens, but then turns off after 15 seconds

alssupra

Boost Junky
Mar 4, 2008
Va
The same thing just started happining to me. Two days ago I was able to hit 12psi no problem. Now just around 5psi the car will lean out (looking at my air/fuel gauge) and if you don't back off the gas the fuel cut will kick in (which is a good thing)
I need to know my fuel pressure under boost... I don't have that gauge. I need replace my fuel filters anyway and then I will test it. I will install my Walboro Fuel pump and FPR next.
I just find it hard to beleve that one minute fuel flow is good enough for 12psi than the next minute not enough for 5psi anyway, I will let you know as soon as I figure it out or if anyone has any other ideas...

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I would check for a boost leak before looking at the fuel system. If you haven't at least tightened every single clamp on your IC pipes then you can't be sure (even then you're only 50% sure because you could have a cracked hose).

The hardest ones to reach are the most likely culprit.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Follow the piping from the intake manifold (pipe that says 3000 on top connects to the throttle body) all the way back to the turbo.

In your way should be the fender(upper piping goes through this) and the intercooler (looks like a small, chunky, radiator and sits in front of the radiator).

suprafast

Apr 13, 2009
mountlake terrace
im not that stupid tho haha. ya i have 5inch thick innercooler. i know that when i bought it . the trip home the charge pipe came off from the turbo, so we thought it blew the turbo. but we took of everythign to get to the turbo and the pipe was just off. so we put it back on, i tightened it good, and it had the same cut off problem when i bought it, but i cant complain when i bought it from an old couple for only 1200

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
The fuel pump can die that quickly, trust me. One way that you can check without taking anything apart is to turn on the fuel pump (check the TSRM or search, you can do it with a paper clip) and listen to the fuel pump. If you can hear it in the car, there very well could be a problem. Also, you should be able to hear a pretty loud trickle sound right by the regulator, if you don't hear anything then that also points toward a fuel issue.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
im not positive on this, but I don't beleive the fuel pump/fuel pressure has any effect on where the fuel cut hits. It is only from the AFM signal. The fuel system may not be functioning correctly but that does not cause the early fuel cut.

Check for boost leaks.

alssupra

Boost Junky
Mar 4, 2008
Va
Well, I changed the fuel filter last night...No change, but I needed to do it. Good news is a check engine light came on, so that might tell me something. I'm in class right now, but as soon as I get a break, I will check it.
With a boost leak I think you would run rich because the AFM would read more air is comming in to the system than actually is, so you would have extra fuel and less air. I maybe wrong...?
I will let you know ASAP.

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
Boost leak, check all the pipes and vaccum lines. One time one of the small vaccum lines UNDER the intake mani fell off and my car was doing this. Im willing to bet its something like that.

alssupra

Boost Junky
Mar 4, 2008
Va
I just checked my codes (12,25,26,34,&51) I don't have my manual with me so I need to look them up.
I will check for a boost leak. I want it to be something simple like that, but I didn't think a leak would cause this issue. Thanks

alssupra

Boost Junky
Mar 4, 2008
Va
mkiii222;1298237 said:
With that many codes it's not going to be simple. Start working on them 1 by 1 and you'll have it running great in no time.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=26

I have a loose connection from my cam pos. sensor I need to fix. Thanks for the link. I went looking for code help and found the same link.
I'm about to pressure test my intake system for leaks. I'll get back to you guys soon.