Fuel cut or detonation?

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
While driving with my nice new boost controller, I hear a popping noise from the exhaust and the car bucks a little. I know that fuel cut is normally a BIG hit, then it builds boost again and another BIG hit. But this is different.

What is happening is more "rapid fire," popping accompanied by a less extreme bucking. I'm not running excessively rich or lean, so I'm a little puzzled. No MIL either, like fuel cut always does.

Mods:
Cold air intake, 2.5" IC piping, 3" IC, full 3" exhaust, APEXi AFC Neo, GReddy PRofec B Spec II, stock twins.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
check plugs.

if the plugs are replaced or fine and it still does it. get in there and check those coilpacks. if they are cracked they will cause that too. Use 1" heat shrink from Ace hardware. that stuff is AWESOME.

if the plugs are fine, and coils are fine...........................................its the dreaded ecu :(

EDIT: but seeing that you have a new BC, i'm sure your plugs need to be gapped down smaller. sounds like higher pressure is blowing out the spark like a candle.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
BlackMKIII;901083 said:
Hahaha. Wow, thanks guys. I'll check them for sure. If I'm boosting around 17 PSI, what should I have them gapped at?

26 - 28 would be a good gapping. Most run around 28. I've run on both plug gaps and never had any issues.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
yea i was running 16 psi on my twins and had them gapped at .26

i was having the same retarded missfire before i tore my 1J down. i used heat shrink on the coils this weekend, and im swapping ecu's so once its running i wont be able to tell what caused it lol

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
actually i ment to check your plugs to get an indication if youve been leaning out.

it could be that they are improperly gapped, fuel cut, or you could be detonating. what you described could be detonation so dont rule that out just yet.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
before you remove them, get the car warmed up and do a WOT blast for a few seconds, maybe in 3rd till redline.

then as soon as possible get the car back and shut it down.

after that, there are lots of online resources to help you read the plugs.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
lagged;901614 said:
before you remove them, get the car warmed up and do a WOT blast for a few seconds, maybe in 3rd till redline.

then as soon as possible get the car back and shut it down.

after that, there are lots of online resources to help you read the plugs.

3rd at redline in my car is ~100mph... Let's not suggest anything illegal here shall we? :icon_razz

I had this same issue a few days ago when somehow my EBC got switched over to high boost by accident. Right around 16-17psi I think it started to pop and lose power. It sure seemed like blowout to me, but I'm not tuned and I'm not turning the boost up to find out until I am.

Collin

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
Well, the plugs look normal, and I'm about to check the gap. My biggest issue is they are Bosch (>.<), and no NGK replacements immediately available. I'm kind of in the middle of working as well. I'll post updates in about 1/2 an hour.

I will say this, though. I'd rather be working on THESE plugs than the ones in my old 7M-GE. :D

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
BlackMKIII;901941 said:
Got the new plugs, gapped them to .028, and made a run at high boost. I'll tell you what, it feels SO much better. I'm seriously loving 1.2 Bar now. :D

sweet so it was just the plugs