Front Lip Alternative

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
I ran across this the other day--and yes, it's a universal lip, but for $25, I think it's a viable alternative to going naked or paying hundreds for a fiberglass chin. The original lip on my '89 is still in great shape but I couldn't resist ordering this to keep on hand in the event anything ugly ever happens. The height is 1.75 inches which is almost exactly the same as the original and 7.5 feet gives you about an inch to spare.

I know there are a lot of universal lips out there, but this seems like it is a decent quality, the measurements are correct for an original substitute and the price is reasonable. It also has an actual flange that will come in handy when screwing it to the bumper.

I comes from KMP--Korea Motor Parts. I'm sure I'm not the only one to consider this, so has anyone actually put this item on their cars? If so, did it turn out? Pictures?

Here is the link where I found it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-5-Feet-B...-Trim-Body-Kit-For-All-Vehicles-/261229485387

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
I would like to put a lip back on my 87 but with lowering springs it sometimes scrapes driveways on the lower bumper without the lip on.

How flexible would you say this lip is?

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
It's very flexible, but if you're already scraping a naked bumper, no lip will stand up to that--unless it is made of high-carbon steel. Ooooh--look at the sparks!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hey, it serves a purpose. The less air that gets under the car, the less lift. It also aids in cooling by giving the air at the front of the vehicle one less place to go instead of through the heat exchangers. For that price, I'd say that's hard to beat, purists can do their own thing. :)

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
Home depot and lowes has it, called garage door seal. been on mine for years. Never had anyone notice it wasnt the factory lip

Rubber garage door seals were nearly the only option in the years when the OEM lip started to get rare and virtually no after-market manufacturers were making anything close to original that actually fit.

I know they are a certainly still an option when you've gotta have a lip right now, but these days if you can wait a week after ordering online, you can get--for about the same amount of money--something that was actually made for a car (not a building) and that you don't have to modify the piss out of.

I'm not saying you need to run out and change your setup--just that there are now better options for those who want a lip.

I'd still like to know if anyone has actually put this on their car.

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
For those who dont want to run this rubber seal option, you can get a lip off of the 97-01 Honda Prelude. It being polyurathane, it will never crack and with some heat, it bends to shape perfectly. :D

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
There u go. The prelude front lip. Almost stock looking.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1500697738598.jpg
    FB_IMG_1500697738598.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 43

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
I've still got an original Carbon Fibre FX from ages ago, looks similar to that one. Never mounted it though, car is too low to get out of the driveway with it.