Front component speaker install?

Yawgmoth

Gonzo apprentice
Mar 31, 2005
Davenport, Iowa, United States
So I bought some cerwin vega component speakers ( 4 inch ) with the intent to do a simple drop in in place of the front door speakers. Low and behold my moderate to crappy knowledge of car audio has me at a dead stop.

My rather intelligent friend who "loves to do car audio" refuses to help me becuase he is lazy.

I have a few questions, in particular, is there a write up for installing these?

I get the idea behind it, cross over acts as a bridgeway to the 4 inch speaker and the tweeter, and I can install the speakers inthe stock location with minor modification, but I would like to know where you guys install the cross over? is there room for that somewhat bulky box inside the door panel? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I've had the door panels off for about a week now and any attempt to do this results in me becoming immediatly annoyed at said cross over box's placement.

Thanks in advance,

yawgy pie

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
I found my x-overs would fit inside the door in the cavity created by the arm rest. It was a tight fit but no problems after 3 years. Of course that will depend on what size your crossover is.

silver88turbo

Former Owner
Mar 30, 2005
Illinois
Can you guys give a little more details about your sound systems? Where you mounted your rear speakers/sub(s), how big of a speaker did you cram into your doors, amps, anything. I'll be puttin a system in this summer and Im stumped.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Currently I'm using only the front 6.5"s and some 5.25" in the rear. Unless you custom make a bracket or buy some 91-92 brackets the biggest you can fit is a 4". I highly recommend converting over to a 6.5" up front.

Sound is very subjective. Some people like a certain type of sound, others like perfect reproduction. I recommend going to some various stereo shops around town and try out different setups. I'm rather partial to Alpine decks and amps with Soundstream Exact speakers. I needed something loud and crisp so I could hear it over the wind noise of the targa.

silver88turbo

Former Owner
Mar 30, 2005
Illinois
Thanks Bish. I have heard that the 91-92 front speaker enclosures were different but I didnt think you could get a 6" in there! Thats good news. Now to find 91-92 enclosures......

Playnine

May 23, 2005
Washington
1st Post

I have a 86.5 N/A Supra (originally with 4" door speakers), and wanted something with a little more midbass, so I busted out the fiberglass and built some enclosures for my 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa mids that replaced the map pocket in the door. It was a lot of work but I really like the way it turned out.

Pictures

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
How do you run the wire from the amp to the component xover?
Do you run it to the original wire behind the deck and use the original connector so you don't use the outpout of the deck or do you run it throught the kickpanel?
I did a wire run from the amp do the speaker to bypass the deck output but I didn't use the kickpanel. You can still see the wire when you open the door, yeah it look ugly, but I don't want to cut the original connector.
What is the maximum depth for the speaker housing anyway? can it fit a 2-5/8" deep speaker, the one i am looking at is 2-1/4" and it fit according to bestbuy.

Playnine

May 23, 2005
Washington
I have the crossovers inside the door panel, and I ran the wire from the hatch, up under the trim under the door and through the kickpanels, then through the stock wiring boot that runs into the door.

Getting the wire through the boot was kind of tough, I pushed a coat hanger though and taped the wire to the end, then pulled it back through the boot.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
I went to the dealer and got a set of celica tweeter enclosures cheap that mount right at the side mirrors.

They look great and raise the imaging.

I forget what year but they look stock...

Ill add a picture on my website for the 91 this weekend.

Look at www.joncjennings.com under my supras

I have had speakers from 1 18 to 4 12s in the rear along with 4 6.5s in the doors....

My 85 was my favorite setup... I had 6.5 MB Quart components in the doors. MB Quarts in the rear and 4 DVC Orion XTR 12s in the back.. It pounded.

The 18 was a bass off beast. There is nothing like 3 12 inch JLs and 1 18 in the back of a supra for hair parting bass.

V