Front Bumper Disassemble

MrHmgSC

Apr 24, 2010
NorCal
hey guys
my IC piping seems to be having a leak some where and i need some help with taking off my front bumper. i tried searching/Haynes and etc. but couldn't really get a detailed description on how to take it apart. i was wondering if someone was willing to do a front bumper disassemble with pictures of bolts to take off and steps to taking off the bumper.
thanks guys

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Trim with reflectors come off with a bolt on the back side and one screw on the blinker.
Blinker comes off with 2 screws but only one since you have removed the trim.
Center trim bits are easy to remove, mostly clips and screws.
then take remove the bolts attached to the wheel well guard that is attached to the bumper should only be like 3 max and remove the under tray attached to the bumper these are like 4 or 5 bolts and screws and clips.
Then a 10mm (I think this is correct) deep socket to remove the nuts that hold the bumper onto the car. If you have skinny hands and arms you can go through the blinker/trim area and remove them that way. There should be 6 or 8 can't remember) and 2 of them are under the head lights, these are the easiest to get too.
Then you should be able to just take off the bumper, if you have missed something it will be a pain in the ass, so don't force it. If you have gotten everything it will almost just fall right off.

Hope that helps, I've removed mine more than I care to count.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Or, you can pull the 2 large bolts that hold the entire bumper assembly to the front frame. There are other little ones to disconnect too, just gotta hunt around once it's loose.

It's a pretty big job as you have to remove the undercovers and stuff and remember where everything goes...

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Poodles;1575168 said:
Or, you can pull the 2 large bolts that hold the entire bumper assembly to the front frame. There are other little ones to disconnect too, just gotta hunt around once it's loose.

It's a pretty big job as you have to remove the undercovers and stuff and remember where everything goes...

Yep, once you do it once or 15 times....it becomes a 10-20min job max. LOL

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
I just did this. Don't be surprised if snap a lot of the bolts. I did with most of the ones along the bottom. There are only 2 attached to the wheel well liner. One at the top of the bumper and one at the bottom (it's actually bolted to a support/stay). I'll take a picture and post it.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Oh I didn't know that. Thanks Poodles.

Here is a pic of it removed. I've circled all that Mario and Poodles mentioned.

p1575310_1.jpg

Good luck!

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
SupraRon;1575310 said:
Oh I didn't know that. Thanks Poodles.

Here is a pic of it removed. I've circled all that Mario and Poodles mentioned.

p1575437_1.jpg

Good luck!

Yea, thats perfect, shows about all the bolts and nuts. Sweet. That should help him a lot.

RazoE;1575332 said:
just have at it with a wrench...

I took mine off without knowing what the hell I was doing a few years back, no issues what-so-ever...

Yea I did the same thing, I had the well the bastards gotta come off anyways for the IC install.

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
Listen to Poodles.. You dont have to remove all those bolts & risk stripping or breaking them.
See the main frame rails W/tow hooks. Remove the two main bolts (90125) from there. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=BO&P=63
pic of Bolts 90125 http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=5201&P=1

Remove those 2 bolts & 2 fender bolts each side & grill inserts. Also disconnect the fog light wiring. Now you can remove the bumper & support in one piece. No need to remove turn sig,markers or trim. You may need to hammer the mettle support to knock it loose.

maj75

Apr 14, 2010
Miami, FL
Are you sure the bolt number is 90125? I don't see any bolt with that number on the diagram. Should the part number be 90105?

Steve_N;1575463 said:
Listen to Poodles.. You dont have to remove all those bolts & risk stripping or breaking them.
See the main frame rails W/tow hooks. Remove the two main bolts (90125) from there. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=BO&P=63
pic of Bolts 90125 http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=5201&P=1

Remove those 2 bolts & 2 fender bolts each side & grill inserts. Also disconnect the fog light wiring. Now you can remove the bumper & support in one piece. No need to remove turn sig,markers or trim. You may need to hammer the mettle support to knock it loose.

MrHmgSC

Apr 24, 2010
NorCal
thanks guys
but are these nuts and bolts in the same places as they are in the 87's? or are the 89+ different?
just wondering since they're different front bumpers.

MrHmgSC

Apr 24, 2010
NorCal
Steve_N;1576201 said:
Yours is as I described. The 89+ I think you have to remove a cpl small bolts/screws (1 ea side) on that center nose the pre 89s dont have

okay thank you! =)
that made taking off the bumper sooo much faster