Front and rear tow hooks.

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hey guys, after breaking at the track a few weeks ago, ive found the need to finally get the car setup with some easy to access tow hooks to get the car on the trailer, or out of the staging lanes if required.

My stock tow hooks in the front are not accessible from the front of the car because any strap hooked up to it will hit my charge pipes. They work fine for strapping the car down to my car trailer but because of my front lip and charge pipes, you cant tow the car by them. Also, someone must have removed my rear factory tow hooks, because they are non existent, unless they are on the bumper support from factory (rear bumper support was removed from the previous owner).

So Im looking for any ideas or suggestions on where guys have setup tow hooks. Ive seen some after market universal kits, but haven't really seen a good spot to weld/bolt them in. So if you have a hook set-up on your car, post up pics if you can.

Thanks
Ryan

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I found this picture online, and I'm curious as to what its bolted to. I have a front bumper support on the car, so if its bolted or welded into that, then I could definitely do something similar for the front.

p1941514_1.jpg

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
it would take some modding, but BMWs use a thread in tow hook. You could install one front or rear in a supra by welding a nut into the bumper support and drilling a small hole in the bumper. The nice thing about this is you could take them off when you are just driving on the street, just use a color matched plug in the hole.

like this:
E13.10-3.jpg

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I had a good look at the front of the car last night, and it looks like I can do something like this in the front:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...mm-front-lip&p=9111992&viewfull=1#post9111992

Its nice because like the hook mentioned above, it can be removed when Im out on the streets. The rear will take a bit more work, just because i dont have a bumper support in there, but I think I found a solution. I'll post up some pics this weekend of how it all turns out.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
^something like that is what I'm in the process of doing. Have to weld a support/nut onto the frame rail, but with a lip/IC piping in the way it's the only real solution without having to cut a hole in the bumper.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
bumping an old thread to see if anyone found any decent upgrades?

I want to find a large tow-hook for the rear that sticks out past hiro rear lip, as right now a tow strap would probably split in half

I have the factory one upfront for my tt-r. it physically is welded onto the bottom of the frame rail where the front bumper support bolts onto (right beside the factory tow hooks where the 3 bolts on the frame are)

IMG_1497.jpg