Front and Rear Shock replacement

supradupra

Dec 15, 2006
Florida
I need to replace the front and rear struts of my 89 non-turbo Supra. I purchased KYB as I don't need high performance and I am not lowering them. Can anyone tell me whether I have to remove the control arms in order to remove the struts? If so, does anyone have descriptions with photos? Also, the rears look like I have to remove the interior covers behind the rear seats to get to the rear mounts. Are these rear ones as much as a pain as they appear to be? I may keep the old rear mounts because it looks more difficult to remove the rears. I'm not experienced in this, but I'm learning. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, can anybody tell me a reliable brand for aftermarket rotors and pads?

Thanks.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
supradupra;988443 said:
I need to replace the front and rear struts of my 89 non-turbo Supra. I purchased KYB as I don't need high performance and I am not lowering them. Can anyone tell me whether I have to remove the control arms in order to remove the struts? If so, does anyone have descriptions with photos? Also, the rears look like I have to remove the interior covers behind the rear seats to get to the rear mounts. Are these rear ones as much as a pain as they appear to be? I may keep the old rear mounts because it looks more difficult to remove the rears. I'm not experienced in this, but I'm learning. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, can anybody tell me a reliable brand for aftermarket rotors and pads?

Thanks.
TSRM or even a Haynes makes it easier.

And yes you have to remove the control arms. The rears wern't too bad as I remember.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
For the front, remove the little bolt that holds the brake line bracket to the spindle, then remove the long bolt that holds the upper control arm to the frame. Swing the control arm out of the way. That bolt has to go behind the plastic inner fender well, and can be a pain sometimes. Little hint: Make sure the washer at the head of the bolt stays close to the control arm, and doesn't slide back with the head of the bolt. Swing the control arm out of the way. Undo the bottom strut mount bolt, then remove the top nuts. Use spring compressors to clamp the spring, and change the struts. For the back, I popped the rear speaker covers, and trimmed the plastic back a bit(just in the corners, and only enough so that the speaker covers would still cover them) so I could get a socket and extension in there. You don't have to remove the upper control arms in the back. Remove the lower strut mount bolt, and pry the bottom of the strut out. There's a little spacer in one of the lower mount bolt holes. You'll need to move it back a little bit so that the new strut goes in easy. There are multiple ways to move them. I usually knock it back with a hammer and punch, but a search will turn up some easier ways. Undo the top three nuts. You might have to push the spindle down a bit, but you can pull the strut down and to the side. If you get it right, you can pull the strut out without removing the upper control arm.

Hope that helps :)

kingsupra

Jul 14, 2006
d-town,colorado
im going to be doing a strut replacement later on in the week, i can take pics for you if you'd although i dont know if your going to be waiting that long

supradupra

Dec 15, 2006
Florida
kingsupra;988619 said:
im going to be doing a strut replacement later on in the week, i can take pics for you if you'd although i dont know if your going to be waiting that long

THAT WOULD BE GREAT! I'M NOT GOING TO GE TO THIS UNTIL NEXT WEEK. THANKS ALOT!

supradupra

Dec 15, 2006
Florida
cuel;988470 said:
For the front, remove the little bolt that holds the brake line bracket to the spindle, then remove the long bolt that holds the upper control arm to the frame. Swing the control arm out of the way. That bolt has to go behind the plastic inner fender well, and can be a pain sometimes. Little hint: Make sure the washer at the head of the bolt stays close to the control arm, and doesn't slide back with the head of the bolt. Swing the control arm out of the way. Undo the bottom strut mount bolt, then remove the top nuts. Use spring compressors to clamp the spring, and change the struts. For the back, I popped the rear speaker covers, and trimmed the plastic back a bit(just in the corners, and only enough so that the speaker covers would still cover them) so I could get a socket and extension in there. You don't have to remove the upper control arms in the back. Remove the lower strut mount bolt, and pry the bottom of the strut out. There's a little spacer in one of the lower mount bolt holes. You'll need to move it back a little bit so that the new strut goes in easy. There are multiple ways to move them. I usually knock it back with a hammer and punch, but a search will turn up some easier ways. Undo the top three nuts. You might have to push the spindle down a bit, but you can pull the strut down and to the side. If you get it right, you can pull the strut out without removing the upper control arm.

Hope that helps :)

You've supplied some good tips. Hopefully, I'll be tackling this next week. I appreciate your advice. Thanks.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Make sure you have a nice long breaker bar and If you can soak some of the bolts with PB blaster first. My stuff was all stock so the bolts were really on there. Im serious when I say I lifted the passenger side of the car off the jacks before the bolt broke loose.

kingsupra

Jul 14, 2006
d-town,colorado
supradupra;989165 said:
THAT WOULD BE GREAT! I'M NOT GOING TO GE TO THIS UNTIL NEXT WEEK. THANKS ALOT!

i just got the imfamous BHG... :icon_evil but i'll still try and do it for ya im still waiting on my struts to get in though so it will be a little bit of a wait. i'll keep you up to date

supradupra

Dec 15, 2006
Florida
kingsupra;990712 said:
i just got the imfamous BHG... :icon_evil but i'll still try and do it for ya im still waiting on my struts to get in though so it will be a little bit of a wait. i'll keep you up to date

Doin nothing on this end. Thanks.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Frank Rizzo;992827 said:
If you don't know how to replace struts, you should give up now while you are ahead.

I didnt know that some people were born with the inherent ability to replace struts. Its something you learn, meaning the first time you do it will be a learning experience.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Frank Rizzo;993226 said:
Oh shit so you want to learn?

Why do you think I posted a link to the TSRM you MOMO

Jesus, man. Ease up a little.

Original Poster: http://gallery.sanitylapse.com/v/supra/Suspension+Upgrade+8-9-05/

I suggest you bookmark this page: http://gallery.sanitylapse.com/v/supra/

If I could buy the guy that put together all those tutorials a beer, I most defiantly would. Actually, I'd buy him a keg. I think his name is Dylan/cwapface.

For the record, the TSRM is about as good a place for help as any. If you get stuck AFTER using the TSRM this place is incredible. If you ask questions before reading the TSRM, people will get annoyed and sometimes very irritated^(see above)^ . ;)

KongGMC

Shady tree mechanic
Nov 26, 2007
Crestview, Fl
What are some of the better struts you can get for these cars? I installed some KYB AGXs on a 240sx and those were great but I recently learned that they don't make them for our cars. So what's the next best thing on the market? I'd personally prefer an adustable dampening strut like the AGX's if anyone makes such a thing for these.