Fresh built R154 problem.

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
Coming home a week ago my R154 started becoming hard to shift down the gears. Then it became impossible to shift into any gear once the engine is running. With the engine off i can switch into gears but its not as easy and consistent as it should be. When the can is started in neutral with the clutch engaged i can hear and soft thud and the car very slowly moves forward, not enough to be in any gear. The clutch is not dragging and the hydraulics are working fine.

I built this R154 myself following the TRSM. It has been running for approx 3000km of daily driving and has had a night at the local drag strip lauching on ET streets.

I will be pulling the rear extension housing off during the week to see if something has come loose in the shifter assembly but would like some advice if anyone has ideas of my problem.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If pedal to floor and trans in gear and the car is moving that points to clutch system.

Could just be a bad master or slave.

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
hvyman;2001887 said:
If pedal to floor and trans in gear and the car is moving that points to clutch system.

Could just be a bad master or slave.

The clutch and hydraulic system are good, i can leave it in gear clutch in and bash limiter without the car moving.

The problem is definitely gearbox related im just wondering if anyone has knowledge of why when the car is in NEUTRAL and the clutch is ENGAGED (foot off the pedal) i get a thud on startup and the car crawls forward very slowly (not enough to be in gear).

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Sounds like a bearing failing to me. Grinding away and creating drag that can move the vehicle. Were it me, I'd tear it apart and check every single bearing. Could also be a forgotten spacer/washer/shim as well. Good luck!

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
I changed the oil to a 75w-90 Penrite gear oil. Was running a 75w-85 before. When i dropped the oil it had shazings in it but nothing more than what was in there each gear change before. Ill take the box out and assess the damage.

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
Alright i tore the box down and didnt immediately see anything wrong, but as soon as i had the main shaft out of the centre case i saw one of the snaprings had come loose and moved the gear a couple mm up the shaft.

New clip where it should be. I made sure i hit this inward every couple mm to get it in deep.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Save yourself from repeat failure and buy a new snap ring...

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
If that's the case, then did you find the root cause as to why it came out of place?

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
Hard to say, it has tooth shaped dent on one of the open sides and not the other which makes me think it may have been a little too thick and not seated properly. The one currently in is one size smaller and was as tight to get in.