Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
plugs1.JPG

Ball pean right to the middle. ;)

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
I'll put up a pic next time i visit the engine refreshing plant (machine shop)

Zum, It doesn't show overlap very well but gets the point across, of securing the plug in place to ensure accidental blowout doesn't happen

--Golli

Feb 6, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
So, It's a matter of getting it in with minimal fuss, then hitting it in the center to force push outwards into the block?
What could I use to hit the center?

Yeah, I didnt really have a choice unfortunately. The shop I took it to took all the plugs out automatically before hot tanking it.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
IJ.;1507154 said:
Usually not needed for brass it's fairly dead anyway.

Yeah guess that might help but you won't have much of a window to get them in before they're back at room temp.
If you put them in the freezer, wouldn't that make them brittle at the cold temperature when you hit them? Or is that not cold enough to do it?
-AM3

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
House freezer doesn't get anywhere near cold enough to make them brittle..

Add to that you're reducing the crush fit so less force is needed to get them in and I can't see it ever being an issue.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
revive of this post because the picture is gone! I am installing this freeze plug on the front side of the motor and I got the Toyota freeze plug, which direction does it go in the motor? I'd hate to put it in backwards :/

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No. The front one is backwards.

Take the cup part and push it in the block where all you have left is kinda flat.