ford 5.0l v8 swap

bapmk3

Nov 15, 2007
utah
i was wondering if i were to put a 5.0 mustang v8 in my mk3, how much would it throw off the balance? anyone had experience with it? im looking for more of a 50/50 balance in my mk3 to get a decent drift setup.:1zhelp:
ps if you hate drifting, i DONT want to hear it.

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
What kind of tranny are you planning on using? Depending on the weight of the transmission and how close to the firewall that you mount the motor, you should be able to achieve a 50/50 balance with a 5 liter Windsor. The predictable low end torque curve should be perfect for drifting even though that sort of thing is ghey.:greddy:;)

woodytsi

Supramania Contributor
Apr 23, 2005
spring,tx
for the amount of abuse, i was thinking tremec tko,the world class t-5 is a little weak once you start beating on them. why put it a mkiii?why not just get a notchback, now were talking.
woodytsi

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
I personally dont think you could come close to a 50/50 balance with a 302 unless you were to get a DART or World Products aluminum block and build from there, but that wouldn't be cost effective.

My sugestion is either a chevy LS_ (whichever you want) or the Toyota / Lexus 1UZ. Both of which are readily availible and are already aluminum blocks.

From a cost standpoint, the UZ is a better choice where as from a power (in stock form) a LS would be better.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
As for the Trans, yes a TKO would be a better choice, but if you have the ability to tear down and rebuild a T5 (which is pretty easy) then it would be cheaper to go that route and buy a High Nickle Gear set from one of the several places that supply them.

woodytsi

Supramania Contributor
Apr 23, 2005
spring,tx
cjsupra90;1413743 said:
As for the Trans, yes a TKO would be a better choice, but if you have the ability to tear down and rebuild a T5 (which is pretty easy) then it would be cheaper to go that route and buy a High Nickle Gear set from one of the several places that supply them.

very true on the rebuilding.it cost money to go fast:icon_razz

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
am i the only person that thinks the 302 is junk? oil pump shaft.... iv got 3 of them in the shop that are twisted. id say its worse then the 7m oil pump system. also take a look at the header flange they are soooo little its hard to see anyone make any power with a 302 and basic bolt ons you need some type of forced induction or a big shot of N2o.

LS1 or and LS chevy motor hands down.

friend has a stock ls1 with a small cam and a 100 shot going 10.60@129mph

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
I've personally built 3 different 302 where where dyno'd at over 400hp (broke in on an engine dyno) with one touching 468hp and non of them were FI or had NO2 (only baby's are bottle fed). Remember the displacement factor, they have about 70% more displacement then a 7m.

It will take internal work and a different set of heads to make good power and yes the stock oilpump shaft and junk but thats an easy fix.

There is also plenty of cheap off the shelf stroker kit availible too. With a 347cid stroker kit, right cam and heads and a good set of headers and exhaust, 500hp is not hard to achieve.

The biggest problem I see with it is the "wanting" a 50/50 weight balance. The already heavier 302 is not going to help it, hence my reason for sugesting a UZ or an LS engine in my previous post due to them being aluminum block engines.... I can tell you this, the UZ is quite a bit lighter then a 7M and im pretty sure the LS is even lighter then the UZ.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
IJ.;1413819 said:
TKO synchros are the weak link and won't take missed shifts.... :(

Faceplated gears FTW. My friends tko only has synchros for 1st, 5th and reverse. Clutch less up shifts are a wonderful thing on the bottle.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
IJ.;1424096 said:
It has a synchro on reverse?? :aigo:

Well, I know he needs to use the clutch for those gears at WOT, otherwise it is a double clutch deal. I guess it has no synchro on reverse then by your reaction.