FML, as they say

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
So mad, I could sh*t silver dollars. Some pond scum motherf*&%ing POS filth hit & ran on me in the parking garage in downtown Tampa today. My pod buddy at work is a paint & body man & agreed that the damage is probably in the $3.5-5.5k range, which is more than I was quoted to paint the entire car & fix the fracking dump truck damage from January...

All I can say for sure is that the mofo was riding low (because my car rides very low, much to my dismay) and it was almost certainly a white vehicle, based on paint remnants left on my bumper.

No video cameras inside the garage, but cameras do cover all exit lanes. Hoping TPD can find the sorry POS on camera.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Sorry if I rambled or sound like an idiot... I'm 5 pints of Guinness and an Irish Carbomb deep right now, and ready to pass out for the night.

Gonna go down there in the morning with work gloves, pry bar, and a mallet & see if I can wrestle the bumper/fender free enough to cruise home white trash style & then wait to see if they can identify this sorry excuse for a human being & hope the SOB is insured.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Thats terrible, to walk to your car safely parked in the garage and find this. Def looks fixable, but still sucks.

At this point, consider yourself responsible for the repairs, not likely youll see any reimbursement, sucks yes, but reimbursement is only an unlikely bonus at this point.

What is the time frame, you have it narrowed down to? Mins, hours, days?

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Near identical damage to what mine looked like when it was hit in my parking lot, except at least buddy who did mine didn't/couldn't run because we worked with me. The amount they gave the body shop for the repairs was around 2350 Canadian. Might be a little more for you because it looks like it ruined the liner.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
I parked the car at 7:15 on Friday morning, and returned to it to move it closer to my building at 6:15 pm after the parking meters are no longer enforced. So that's an 11 hour window. (I'm working 12 hour days right now, partially to save the $$$$ to get the January dump truck damage fixed & get the whole thing repainted) Hoping the TPD detectives will be willing to watch that much video. Although, since it was hit squarely from the side, likelihood is that the space next to me was empty, and probably 2 spaces empty, which would tell me it was after 4pm when the lot tends to clear out.

Assuming I'll be on the hook for this, but hoping they can find & nail the f@cktard who hit & ran.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sorry to see that man, what is it with parked Supras getting hit? My 88 got tagged twice in the same month (second time right after the first one was repaired, hit the same area too...), and my 89 decided to keep a display shed in Homo Depot's parking lot from killing an old lady (stupid Wyoming wind). Still, looks like you've got your hands full here... If it's any consolation, there looks to be a good chance that whoever hit you hit your actual bumper, and lemme tell you, those things do some DAMAGE when other cars hit the side of them. Lot of square steel to hit there... Had a kid hit my old Cavalier on the rear bumper from the side like this and it nearly totaled a brand new (then) Focus, at all of ~12mph.

Well, good luck to you, if you ever do hear any good news out of this, be sure to update us?

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
I got clipped in a parking lot last month(hit and run). Came to find out, collision insurance actually covers that. Weird, right? You'd think that only uninsured motorist insurance would cover that. Boy did I get lucky on that one! Needless to say, as soon as I get it back from the shop I'm adding uninsured motorist to my policy anyways!

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Whether or not they find the guy, whether or not insurance covers it IT STILL SUCKS

I'm sorry man. I don't know what I'd so if some fuckwad hit my Supra. To hit someone in a parking garage you have to be a special kind of bad driver. Hopefully on the cams they'll see the damage on the other persons car. Other car looks to have been white? Should be easy to spot..

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
I went downtown with some hammers, vise grips, work gloves, rubber mallet & sledge hammer, etc. this morning. Took a few pulls with the work gloves, as well as driving a hammer between the crinkled plastic fender liner & the tire & then some lever action to force the liner off the tire. Sure as heck ain;t pretty, but it let me drive it home without wasting one of those 3 tows you get from AAA every year.

If they find the rat bastage, I will go after his insurance with all the fervor of a Congressman digging into your wallet. If he (or she) has no insurance, I will most certainly pursue litigation. I know I'll never actually get paid, but I will get a judgment against the SOB and pursue payment like a hungry pit bull.

Gonna leave the car parked for a while. Probably install the short shifter while it's down, continue seeking USDM tails to swap out for my JDM tails (Yeah, I'm the guy who prefers the USDM tails), and a few other items just to keep me busy with it. If they find the culprit & there is insurance, I will put the car in the shop posthaste on their dime, and just pay my guy the extra to spray the whole car. If they do not find them, I may end up taking out a 401k loan to get this all done, and then just use my overtime pay to pay back the 401k loan WAY early. If I put my mind to it, I can pay off about $2k per month.

So why not just save the $2k/mo and get it all done near the end of the year, you ask? Because I hate owning an injured vehicle. And I especially hate owning an injured Supra. I feel all white trash just knowing the poor thing is in the garage. I am far too impatient to let it sit there in pain for 3-4 months while I save the cash.

In the meantime, if you have a front bumper, driver's side front turn signal & side marker, fender, etc. for sale... hit me up. Looks like I'll be in the market.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
A few pics with a real camera & better lighting. Just because I can. Notice in next to last pic, fender is pushed flat against the hood & headlight cover. Haven't popped the hood, just in case the hood is keeping the fender from pushing the headlight assembly in an unfriendly way.

Wondering if I should look into aftermarket front bumper covers. Hadn't given it much thought until now.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I'd be scouring that parking garage everyday...

is that just scratches on your paint, or paint transfer (white car?)?

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Satan;1599941 said:
I'd be scouring that parking garage everyday...

is that just scratches on your paint, or paint transfer (white car?)?

Appears to be paint transfer. White car, riding low. That's gotta narrow it down a little. Problem is, as I learned today- the cashier at the garage says the cameras aren't pointed at the cars. Nope, the cameras are aimed at the cashiers, to keep them from stealing. I'm still going to press for a view of the tapes, to see if maybe there's some shred of evidence, but my hopes are not high. Looks like this will all be on my farking dime. I can think of SO many other ways I would spend $5k on this car, and it just pisses me right the heck off that some f*c&stick has forced me to use that money- money I don't have in the bank, by the way, to fix the results of his retardation.

If there is a god, or if kharma is for real, this guys nuts should turn green & fill with pus, become intolerably painful, and fall off a few months later, since it will take months to save up to fix this nonsense.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
So I've been absent from the forums for a while. Took a LOT longer than expected to save the cash for this repair job. Had a few unexpected expenses (like a dog needing surgery- OUCH!) and went thru a couple of periods where I refused to work overtime, just to reinforce to my boss that the company was acting like it was run by grade-A douchebags.

FINALLY got all the parts I need (less a few bumper support brackets, etc., but that remains to be seen) Car will be going into the shop tomorrow after I get out of work. (Midnight -8 am)

List of parts I am supplying to the body shop:

Full set of mouldings from group buy
New JDM style aftermarket front bumper cover from eBay- thinking this will require new fog lights. Will know soon.
Used header panel obtained thru classifieds here
Used driver's fender obtained thru classifieds here
Used fender liner obtained @ local junkyard (Came with an afermarket fender that had bondo in it. Anybody want it?)
New set of driver's side door hinges from Champion Toyota
New front turn signals, and front/rear side markers, all clear. Not sure I will dig the clear markers look. We'll see. They were cheap & easy to find.
New taillight gasket obtained w/ a set of used stock taillights thru classifieds here. Unfortunately, the tails died in transit.

Shop is going to do a full paint job. They will remove the 3-piece spoiler, taillights, all mouldings, side markers, sunroof, side mirrors, door handles, doors, tailgate, all glass, headlights. They will be spraying pretty much everything but the engine bay- tailgate, including underside, tailgate jamb, door jambs, etc., etc. They will also strip all of the glass trim & re-spray it with a matte black. They expect this to take 3-4 weeks, and cost is estimated at $4,500-$5k, depending on a few odds & ends, like the need for new bumper support brackets.

These guys seem to like to take pics of their work in progress, so I am going to ask them to do so for me. I'll also snap my own pics of the finished product.

After the paint & body work is done, I will tackle the suspension (needs to be raised up from slammed, considering coilover/shock & spring options) within a few weeks. After that, I will get to the remaining issues as time & money allow- A/C is out again, speedo still needs fixed (displaying about 15% lower than actual speed), and the rear view mirrors don't move- when I use the control pad, all of the lights dim & the voltmeter plunges, but nothing happens. Oh, and my 12v socket is dead. I may have forgotten to reconnect it last time I had the dash apart. Easy fix, even if that's not the issue.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Just noticed your car's details in your sig... did your R154 come with your 1j? If so, your transmission might have the speedo gear for the 4.10 Torsen diff. Mine is that way, noticed the speed wasn't quite right for the tire size and RPMs... hope that helps.

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
te72;1599570 said:
and my 89 decided to keep a display shed in Homo Depot's parking lot from killing an old lady (stupid Wyoming wind). us?

haha..no kidding right? i saved a honda accord once rolling across a parking lot strait for a bunch of cars because they didn't put the Ebrake on and it was storming out lol freaking wyoming...

Shitty deal man! Hope ya fix her up soon!

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
Dam sorry to hear that man. I went through the same thing but worst. My one was stolen from my house and similar damage to the side fender and bumper and killed the engine. So spent almost over 5k+ restoring the car.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Eh, mine is just a lowly daily driver/future parts car. I have another shell waiting on some bits. If THAT one gets hit, that would be a sad day... the current car is already pretty beat, so no worries.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
te72;1731655 said:
Just noticed your car's details in your sig... did your R154 come with your 1j? If so, your transmission might have the speedo gear for the 4.10 Torsen diff. Mine is that way, noticed the speed wasn't quite right for the tire size and RPMs... hope that helps.

Appreciate the info. According to the previous owner, the tranny & diff are both from a single 7MGTE donor car. I'll probably end up taking it to a pro to diagnose & fix. I'm getting impatient in my old age. lol

***I was going to go visit & get some "in progress" pics yesterday, but it was raining cats & dogs, so I had no desire to drive into the heart of Tampa & risk getting stuck in rush hour w/ rain. Floridians are effing morons when it comes to driving in the rain.