flywheel = harmonic damper??

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
So i was pondering a new clutch and flywheel the other day and had a thought. the crank pulley is a harmonic damper built to be heavy so it will smooth out the vibrations from the crank and extend its life. the aftermarket flywheels are built nice and light so you get faster revs and a few more wheel ponies. my question is wouldnt making the flywheel lighter be like making the crank pulley lighter because its on the other end of the crank? does the heavy stock flywheel act alittle like a harmonic damper at the end of the crank? i'm pretty shure i'm safe with a lightweight flywheel but i was just wondering.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Harmonic balancers/dampeners are usually 2 piece, the hub and the ring that are bonded together with a rubber strip between.

This is what smooths out the harmonics the movement between the two.

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
IJ. said:
Harmonic balancers/dampeners are usually 2 piece, the hub and the ring that are bonded together with a rubber strip between.

This is what smooths out the harmonics the movement between the two.
Exactly.

It's not just about putting weight on the crank, it's about having a flexible material between the crank and the heavy dampener ring. The weight resists the vibration through inertia, and the flexible rubber allows for movement to be dissipated as heat.

Since the flywheel is just a solid disk, you are safe to make it lightweight. But I wonder how well a stock 18 year old rubber/weight dampener works anyway. It's probably all hard and ineffective at this point. :(