Flywheel bolts backing out

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
So Ive been having an issue recently with flywheel bolts backing out recently now im getting things checked for balance to see for bad harmonics BUT just seen tonight that the bolt holes in the flywheel have opened up a bit so this is due to a fuck up years ago not knowing that the arp bolts were too long especially since I have a os gekin flywheel (triple plate clutch) and having the flywheel loose was for ages but the arps never backed out didn't notice till pulled the box to inspect leaking rear main.

And with the bolts backing out now its obviously worse which makes me think this is likely my real problem wondering what peoples thoughts are of having the holes drilled larger then pressing a sleeve in? I can just buy a new flywheel but my clutch is half worn so pretty well bed in Im just wondering if this is another viable option for me? who knows the new flywheel may even be cheaper than the machine work ill have to look into that just after opinions cheers

Hopefully vid of the movement

[video=youtube;tjY36vt6eWA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjY36vt6eWA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Let me know if this video doesn't work

lian

Apr 15, 2008
ottawa
I would just buy a new one and a clutch plate if your pressure plate doesnt have any hot spots.
what arps did you use cause I installed some 3 months ago and the measurements of them was the same as oem.
and use red loctite .hope this doesnt happen to me knock on wood.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
os flywheel is thinner than stock/usual aftermarket flywheels used arp 4age bolts (there is no listing for the 7m any one who sells 7m ones is re boxed 4age ones) and tested flywheel against spare crank and it turns out the biggest problem is that it damaged the mounting area of the crank.

So im going to pull the crank get it machined and have locating dowels put in

lian

Apr 15, 2008
ottawa
FIG]74062[/ATTACH]all[ATTACH= they are longer despite all the measurement specs

Attachments

• 1410295723616.jpg
    1410295723616.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 12

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I dont think you get what mytmk3 is saying.

His os giken multi plate clutch fly wheel is thinner and cannot use those bolts.

I would get a new flywheel at min. Can measure the plates and if there in spec just keep using them.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
Well may as well update checked flywheel on a spare crank and was press fit on that still so checked crank and it was out of round :( pulled crank to repair and saw crank was actually cracked so that one is getting trashed :(