FlyWheel Bolt problem

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
Ok so this is the second time this has happened my flywheel bolts keep backing out and the i sher off some of the heads on them the last time i even used locktite now im gonna buy arp bolts and use locktite red and i also have a new flywheel but im scaired it will happen again anyone have any advice on why there doin it

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Anyway- If you're REALLY worried about them backing out, you might want to saftey wire them. You'll have to have a shop drill a tiny hole through the heads, and then you run a wire through them, basically connecting them all to each other. That keeps them from turning. I would expect that high RPM wouldn't be a problem, given that the bolts are only about 2 inches from the center of rotation.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i always use a dab of locktite red on flywheel, pp, case bolts on bikes, small bolts in trannys(like shift forks), things that you don't really care if it might be a little harder to get off because its way too important that they don't back out. not be be mistaken with engine internals. we all know a good moly based assembly lube is for them. and the blue i only use if i worried the hardware will snap because of the torque to break it loose with the red.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, red loctite as you can use an impact to remove them.

But sounds like they're not being tightened correctly...

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
Twice huh? I'd be taking a very close look at your threads and the mating surfaces. Sheering of the heads? Just the heads indicates over torque. The head and some thread
would be sheered, if you were to ask me?
Over torque-flywheel gets hot-expands-pops head. muzy

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I reused mine :D

(keep in mind that they aren't torque to yeild, I was on a time constraint, and they aren't listed as one use in the TSRM)

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i just figure, how often do you change the clutch? i got the arp's as cheap insurance because i dont plan on changing the clutch any time soon and i dont want to worry about them breaking or backing out

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I have reused mine. Before I did, I talked with a couple Toyota Mechanics/Techs with Supras and they say that it is perfectly fine to reuse them. Just make sure that you tighten them down correctly like Poodles said and put some loctite Red or Permatex and torque to specs.

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
they wer torqued the way the needed to be the problem is where they back out then the flywheel wobbles a little bit and then it sheres off the heads im tryin to find some arp bolts as we speak didnt wanna pay 40 bicks fo rthem but it looks like im gonna have to

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
buy good bolts, torgue them evenly, using a star pattern and locktight them

or dont........

p1239031_1.jpg

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
is the flywheel perfectly flat? if its wobbling them out, theres probably a reason. tsrm specs .2mm for max runout

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I have read threads before with the same problem, worth a try to search. They had come to the conclusion that the crank threads were damaged and it would keep backing out no matter what kind of threadlocker was tried or anything

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
grimreaper;1239163 said:
is the flywheel perfectly flat? if its wobbling them out, theres probably a reason. tsrm specs .2mm for max runout

do u mean the mateing surfacesbetween crank and flywheel? ive got another flywheel i just had resurfaced? now im gonna have the clutch and pressure plate balanced and check the surfaces