flowmaster on an mkiii

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
before you start freaking out and what not, i'm just curious as to what it an mkiii would sound like with like an imco or a flowmaster on it? Has anyone ever seen/heard this?

ShagsSupra

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Wilmington NC
alloyguitar said:
before you start freaking out and what not, i'm just curious as to what it an mkiii would sound like with like an imco or a flowmaster on it? Has anyone ever seen/heard this?

My NA has 2 and a 3/4" flowmaster exaust, I thought it sounded great myself and so did alot of other people untill I gutted the cat.

right now its cut up cause somone wanted to be an ass and jam shit in it....

SupraKirk

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
www.mk3.us
alloyguitar said:

When I had my custom 3" exhaust welded up, the shop said that the muffler I had brought with me would not fit (probably BS). They said they had a Flowmaster that would fit. I do not know the model, but it was loud as hell and droned when cruising so much it caused headaches (really).

I ended up switching to a Hooker muffler, it is still fairly loud but much better and no Advil needed.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
lol, i was tempted b/c a friend of mine can get them for fairly cheap, but now i don't know what i'm gunna go with...i'm gunna be running 3" turbo back with a ported elbow and no cats...any ideas? I was kinda thinking the n1 style ebay muffler because cost is really an issue, but i don't know...

J

JerzeySlowpra

i had a friend that put one on his car sounded great, then he gutted the cat and it sounded like crap and was suffering the problem ShagsSupra suffered

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
I"m running a 2.5 flowmaster and cat back (w/resonator and gutted cat) coming off of my SS 3" DP and turbo. Sounds pretty bad ass. It kinda drones though at 2500-3000. Around 4000 it quiets down.....but then the turbo gets loud. muahahahaha..............anyway I'll be droppin that in favor of a straight-through muffler whenever i get around to doin my 3" cat back

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
I thought Flowmasters were bad for turbo cars. Don't they purposefully design their mufflers for backpressure. That would be great for an N/A, but not so hot on a turbo.

turboa7mgte

HECK YES I DID!!!
Mar 30, 2005
Delavan, WI.
I had one on Last year and loved it. Nice deep tone.
I ran a 13.3 with one on. But if you look at the Cut out of one you will see that they are restrictive.

DEFIANT 7M

101MM stroke of INSANITY!
Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
I ran one on my Gallant VR4. It had that headace making drone also. I replaced it with a DTM style muffler and picked up 3psi. So I wouldn't say it is a good choice for turbo cars.

turboa7mgte

HECK YES I DID!!!
Mar 30, 2005
Delavan, WI.
I had the 40 series..... Not strieght through.
I talked with Flowmaster at SEMA and they looked at me very funny when i told them i had a 40 series on a supra. So prolly not a good idea

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I think DJVMK3 is running one, but I don't know if he's signed back up yet or not. Since I see him on a pretty regular basis I'm sure I'll get a chance to confirm it. I believe he mentioned it being restrictive once upon a time because he worked at a dyno and was able to test different settings, exhausts, etc.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Furball said:
I thought Flowmasters were bad for turbo cars. Don't they purposefully design their mufflers for backpressure. That would be great for an N/A, but not so hot on a turbo.

It WAS on my NA.....as soon as i get enough money, it will be going away...no more back pressure for me!