Flooding problem

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Just a little background:
newly replaced headgasket (comp checked, 160-165 in all cyl), new plugs, newer wires, Only code I get is 51-AC isn't hooked up, Car has a 3" exhaust from the turbo back, no boost leaks or anything like that. Timing is set to 13 degrees. Running autolite coppers.

The past two times I've gone out to start the car it ends up flooding itself out, I let it sit for awhile and then it starts up. It runs great once it gets started, no misses or hesitation. Before it started doing this it sat for 3-4 days in my garage, but I don't see how that would effect anything.

I'm open to any ideas that someone may have.

Wrong plugs is about the only thing I can think of.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
jetjock;1277655 said:
What makes you think it's flooded? And fix the code 51...it has nothing to do with the AC not being hooked up.

^ The wet plugs and the smell of gasoline? :icon_bigg

I just looked in my haynes manual for code 51, seen AC and wrote it off as the comp not being installed. Going through THIS thread to see what I can find.

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Generally speaking flooding is not common in EFI systems and even less so with this one. That said a leaky cold start or main injector can cause it but if that were the case you should have continued problems after start. You could always jumper the fuel pump on and smell the intake or pull the CSI and see if it's leaking under the same conditions. You can also try starting the car in "flooded mode". Like most EFI systems this one kills the injectors when the throttle is held wide open. Since 51 effects timing during start I'd fix that first though. As for the AC system's involvement in it's cause post #5 in that thread saves me from explaining it...again ;)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Bottom line: if the the AC button isn't lit (even if the rest of the AC system has been yanked that'll still set the code) and the transmission is in P or N (if an auto) it's near certain a 51 is TPS related.

2006. Jeez, I've been hanging out here way too long...

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ Gotcha. I'll check the TPS while I'm at it then.

*edit*
Ill go ahead and ask. Having 0 emissions, would that cause this problem?

I can take out a spark plug and shake it and gas will drip out... So we're clear on that.

And thanks for the help JJ.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
High fuel pressure, ruptured regulator diaphram, or a shifted coolant sensor (especially if it's warm outside). Even though it runs ok afterward you should still look for anything that prevents the engine from starting quickly. Slow cranking, timing, dirty airfilter, weak spark, weak CPS, bad wires, plugs, bad ISVC, vac leaks, etc. Zero spark will cause wetness but you'll end up with another code. Anyhow, fix the 51 first. I'm assuming these are cold start problems btw...

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I ended up swapping out the plugs, beefing up the ground at the back of the head as well as the ground on the coils (grounded on chassis instead of engine, so I know it's good), checking the TPS (checked out fine according to my haynes manual... ?), swapping the cold start injector (the upper intake plenum was all kinds of wet), and setting the timing to 10'. I also noticed the vac line to the fuel press reg was possibly kinked off (too long and was shoved down behind the alt wires), since you said too high of fuel press would cause this problem, would that raise the press?

Thanks for the help, again, JJ.

Also, I grabbed another throttle body w/ what I assume to be a good TPS. I just checked and the code 51 is still there. I know that the next step is swapping the TB's... I guess I'm reading up on the how-to's of TPS adjustment/testing tomorrow at work.