Flipup headlights on when down, off when up?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This is driving me nuts, finally got power to my car and was just starting to test things and when I turn my headlights on, they go down, and off brings them to the up position.

Any suggestions?

This is driving me nuts, (which at this points is a very very short drive, but thats besides the point). I can't really even begin to guess why this might be.

All other lighting on the car is behaving normally, signals, hazards, fog, etc. So in my mind logically this is narrowed down to the motors themselves, or the motor relays perhaps?

Thanks for throwing any suggestions in advance guys.

myothersupra

Jun 19, 2008
Greater New Orleans Area
Flateric;1162219 said:
This is driving me nuts, finally got power to my car and was just starting to test things and when I turn my headlights on, they go down, and off brings them to the up position.

Any suggestions?

This is driving me nuts, (which at this points is a very very short drive, but thats besides the point). I can't really even begin to guess why this might be.

All other lighting on the car is behaving normally, signals, hazards, fog, etc. So in my mind logically this is narrowed down to the motors themselves, or the motor relays perhaps?

Thanks for throwing any suggestions in advance guys.
You said "I finally got power to the car and was starting to test things".
What's the history of the car that made it not have power?

Yes, sounds like a logic problem, possibly just a basic wiring reversal issue.

When you turn the switch on and they go down, do they come on (actually light up while down) or do they go off, and when you turn the switch off and they pop back up, do the lights go off or come on?

Was this ever a problem before?

You can take off the nut, detach the arm, and move it to the opposite 180 degree position and that should make them go to the correct position but I'm puzzled as to how they would be out of sync in the first place?
If they're off when they're supposed to be on then my proposed solution of moving the arms to the opposite position isn't going to fix it.
It also seems odd that they'd both be out of sync...
I'm thinking something in the headlight wiring may possibly be reversed but I haven't really researched the circuit before...

I'm usually pretty good at wiring issues but it's not so easy to troubleshoot when not in person...

Has anything in your wiring been changed recently?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, yes, all the wiring was removed from the car for the "spot weld doubling up" and repainting from the frame up. And the wiring for the 2J into the Ma70 has not even started in the least. I wanted to be sure everything ma70 related was as it should be before begining to wire the new motor up.

I guess I should post a build thread here one day so you guys can see what I am up to here also. Would be a big help to me too because I honestly don't have a soul really to ask about anything so I am on a pretty hard learning curve. But these forums and the info they have really has helped me massively, so thanks guys!:icon_bigg

Yes, they do turn on in the down position and off in the up position.:cry:

My first thouight was to try reversing the little arms, but just as you suggest this is treating the symptom not the actual problem.

The fact that they are both doing the same thing is the part that is making me more crazy than anything. I'm also starting to doubt myself because I could swear they worked porper the first time I tried earlier in the day, but I could be totally full of crap on that one.

I think the first step to correcting this problem is to step away from it, need to sleep. I'm just spinning my wheels (haha) at this point. Or if you really want a bad pun, "The lights are on but no-ones home" so they shouldn't be on, LOL.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Mine did this before and I honestly can't recall what I did to correct it :(

But try this, make them go down (so turn em on) and then pull the retractor fuse, switch them off, put it back, and then try.

RedGT

Aug 18, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Turn the headlights off, manually turn the motors so that the headlight buckets are in the down position then try turning them back on, should take care of it.