Fixing a Month-Long Blonde Moment

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
honestabe;1303474 said:
My Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's and Toyo T1R's run at 50 PSi (max is 51) and I have no issues. The old rule of 32 PSi is out dated. Go by what the tires say, not the old rule. Hell, my Geo had tires that ran at 44 PSi. I'd only run 32 PSi if I were drag racing. Then again the front tires would be over inflated and the rear tires would be under inflated.

This is quite true.
My '02 accord's tires (stockers)take 44psi.
My 18's on the cressida take 62
PSI also seems to increase the lower profile the tire is.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
say what?! i was always told the sticker on the CAR is what you should follow for DD and best wear and what not.

At what point do you begin to get wear patterns consistent with over inflation then?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ok not to put too harsh a spin on this but what relevence does a sticker printed in the 1980's have to modern tires?

really think about it..

Read the side of the tire it will tell you the safe maximum inflation pressure anything OVER that is overinflated.

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
dumbo;1303466 said:
Interesting thread, I must say...

A easy way to get rid of flat spots, burn em off, and get rid of those pizza cutters lol. Good to see some more :canada
:canada:canada to you too.
That's an idea that I like, been thinking about it a lot, so we'll see. Apparently a 235/50 will fit my wheels and my local shop can get me decent pricing.

Open question; please tell me what you all think...
1) What are your thoughts on mixing brands? (Brand X front/Brand Y rear)
...And...
2) What about just replacing the rears for now, and running 205/50R17's in the front and 235/50R17's in the rear? (And this would be the case of different fronts/rears).
3) Brands aside, how will 205 and 235 affect my handling (I assume better handling, but at what point is it too staggered?)

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
IJ.;1303957 said:
Ok not to put too harsh a spin on this but what relevence does a sticker printed in the 1980's have to modern tires?

really think about it..

Read the side of the tire it will tell you the safe maximum inflation pressure anything OVER that is overinflated.

I guess i never understood it as setting tire limitations. I thought it was how to get the best wear/performance from a given tire with a stock suspension... Why else would they put a sticker like that in there?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
grimreaper;1304021 said:
I guess i never understood it as setting tire limitations. I thought it was how to get the best wear/performance from a given tire with a stock suspension... Why else would they put a sticker like that in there?

this is what tire rack had to say...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=1

i've always hated tires that were on 40psi+ cause it made the car ride like crap... as soon as i lowered it down to the suggested door sticker levels, the car returned to what it was...

for a 35 series tire things might be different, but on some stockers with a 55 series side wall i would stick with the OEM number...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Rennat;1303327 said:
i go by whats on the inside of the door... sometimes even a 2-3psi lower...

and stock tire size is 225/50/16... not 205's.

Only in certain markets. Such as ours. The base tire listed is 205/55/16.

Tires.

The number on the sidewall is max load a tire can carry at the max pressure it can withstand. That is not the amount of air to put in the tire.

The car is aligned with the assumption of correct inflation. Suspsension design, inflation and alignment all go together. If you have excessively modified the suspension, it is ok to change alignment and tire pressure to keep the proper contact patch.

Toyota does not compensate for road crown in the US market. Or you could say they compensate for it with caster. 7 degrees of caster on the MA70. And that is a ton of straight line stability. It will go straight at 170 mph, if nothing else is messed up.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Low profile tires require more pressure.. Just look, the smaller the sidewall, the higher the pressure. Even same sized tires require different pressures.

I generally run 4-5lbs less than the max. Not too harsh but the tires don't sag and feels very stable.

I even ran over a curb a few weeks back(long story) with this pressure and thought for sure I bent a wheel or at least got a flat because of how loud it was. I got out, checked the tire and its fine. Wheel is also fine.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Rennat;1304029 said:
this is what tire rack had to say...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=1

i've always hated tires that were on 40psi+ cause it made the car ride like crap... as soon as i lowered it down to the suggested door sticker levels, the car returned to what it was...

for a 35 series tire things might be different, but on some stockers with a 55 series side wall i would stick with the OEM number...

The cressy rides better w/the 225/35-18's @62psi than it did with 225-235/60-14's @32psi
Like Ian said,that was for tires 20 years ago,quite a bit different than tires nowadays,(like I stated,my accord has the factory original tires on it,they call for 44psi,if I run 32 like the door sticker says they not only LOOK under inflated,but wear on the outsides edges due too low of pressure),especially when you go with plus size shit(17-18-19")
I would suggest going by the psi on the tire itself,they don't just pull a random number out of their ass,there is research involved on the recommended tire pressure rating for each specific tire.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
toy fanatic78;1304043 said:
Like Ian said,that was for tires 20 years ago,quite a bit different than tires nowadays,(like I stated,my accord has the factory original tires on it,they call for 44psi,if I run 32 like the door sticker says they not only LOOK under inflated,but wear on the outsides edges due too low of pressure),especially when you go with plus size shit(17-18-19")
I would suggest going by the psi on the tire itself,they don't just pull a random number out of their ass,there is research involved on the recommended tire pressure rating for each specific tire.

So the tire maker is smarter than Honda engineers. How interesting. Read my post about pressure, alignment, suspensino, etc. 44 is max for that tire load. It isn't your ideal pressure for contact patch. You will wear in the center before the edges.

Or do what you want. It is your money.

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
Nick M;1304036 said:
Only in certain markets. Such as ours. The base tire listed is 205/55/16.

Tires.

The number on the sidewall is max load a tire can carry at the max pressure it can withstand. That is not the amount of air to put in the tire.

The car is aligned with the assumption of correct inflation. Suspsension design, inflation and alignment all go together. If you have excessively modified the suspension, it is ok to change alignment and tire pressure to keep the proper contact patch.

Toyota does not compensate for road crown in the US market. Or you could say they compensate for it with caster. 7 degrees of caster on the MA70. And that is a ton of straight line stability. It will go straight at 170 mph, if nothing else is messed up.

^ This.

I run 235/45/R17 tires up front and 255/40/R17 tires on the rear of my '90 TTR on a set of MKIV TT rims. I run the tires at the manufacturers specified tire pressure: 2.5bar FR, 2.3bar FL, 2.2bar RR and 2.2bar RL. In almost 17 months of ownership I have not experienced anything other than even treadwear. My 255's did not come with the car(been on the car since July '08) , the 235's did (new at purchase) and have lots of tread left.

I have put about 35,000 km on the car since I bought it. The distance I have put on the car includes many high speed runs, daily high speed corners, several burnouts and brakestands as well as general abuse.

I can see running a slightly higher pressure on low profile tires, but running the psi on the side of the tire IMO is bordering on stupidity as it is the maximum safe operation pressure of the tire at it's maximum load. On these cars (unless you're towing something really heavy for some odd reason) you should not be running the tires maximum pressure as it decreases contact patch and leads to premature tire wear(add weight = add tire pressure). I would actually really like to see a comparison between a new low profile tire and one that's been run at 50 or 60psi for 30,000km on a Supra.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Ash, the stock tire size is 225/50-16, not 205/55-16 (that's the spare tire size). Why are you running a tire that's narrower than the stock tire? By default you're getting less traction. Tires are the only thing that's getting you moving and stopping you from slamming into something. Having offset tire sizes (245 in the front and 275 in the rear as an example, also what I run) just means that the rear end will push harder. You want more traction, not less.

supr88

turbo addict
May 15, 2007
calgary or vancouver
ride with those tires for a while and watch them for uneven wear. tires will tell you everything you need to know about your alignment, frame, bearings and tire pressure if you know how to read the signs.
the door jamb number is by the factory engineers, true. but that is for the original tires with original wheels! you have to experiment on your own to find the ideal pressure, because that number does not apply to every tire in the world, seeing as how there are so many new tires that werent available when the car was made.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I'm going with IJ on this one, he's usually right anyways...lol.

Seriously though, when a car is produced the manufacturer pick a company and gets them to either make a tire for them or chooses a tire that is already made that suits what they want.

The sticker on the car tells you what PSI to run on the tires the car came with. I doubt anyone is running the original tires still or OE replacement tires. Same size and tire pressure markings still don't make it the same tire. The compound is different, the tread patterns are different and all make the tires react differently to different tire pressures.

It's likely that as with most manufacturers, toyota chose to mark a few PSI lower than the max on the tires is came with for ride comfort and quality. They test the car at different pressures to determine which one is the one they want, they account for wear, ride quality, responsiveness etc.

After so long, the sticker means nothing, go with what the tire max. pressure is and you can move down depending on setup/preferences. Running 32 PSI on a 50PSI tire is just called underinflation. Lower it to your preferences but don't go to low, and do not exceed the max for any reason.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
As I really don't want to get into this arguement, I will say this...

Fine, the sticker on the door is old, but name just ONE new car that runs max PSI on the stock tires. That alone makes any and all comments null and void.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I already stated my reasons for running max pressure on my car it's 1800+ Kg's and I drive aggressively and my car generates a genuine .99G before it slips, my tire wear is brilliant with NO additional wear in the centre of the contact patch then only downside or negative is the ride is somewhat harsh but I don't run stupidly heavy springs so the car ride ok.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Your car is also heavier, lowered, different tire size than stock...

Not bashing you, as I know you're anal enough to pay attention to your tire wear :D

If you had one of those pressure pads where you can see the pressure at different points of the contact patch (like the auto makers do) then you could easily find your optimum tire pressure.