First Time Drag FAIL at Sac Raceway. NEED ASSISTANCE

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
So I finally hit the drag strip for the first time ever. I made the mistake of running on my dinky 215s on sawblades. My first run was 16.9 because I had no idea what I was doing. I launched at 4000rpm's and spun 1st and 2nd and then finally caught in 3rd. My next 3 runs were 14.1. I launched at 2500 which made me bog. I trapped 100mph all 3 runs but my 60ft was between 2.1-2.3

Here's my current setup-
Stock Motor
3in Custom Exhaust from the turbo back WITH a cat
K&N intake
SP61GT DBB@ 12psi
PWR Radiator
Blown front koni yellow struts
Rear koni yellows set to soft setting
Intrax Springs
ST Sway Bars
SPEC Lightweight flywheel
SPEC Pressure Plate
ACT 6 Puck Disc

I can't afford drag slicks right now, so the next best thing I have is a pair of rear mk4 supra wheels with khumo ecsta v700's in the size of 245/45/17

Can I get some tips on what to do from the experienced dragsters here?
What kind of times should I expect?
What rpm should I be launching at?

I will be heading to Infineon Raceway on wednesday for the wednesday night drags!

thanks in advance!

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Yeah, feather the clutch off the line to minimize wheelspin and bogging. You can at least cut a 1.9 sixty and bring your e.t.'s down to about 13.80's. That sounds about right for 100mph traps.

IIRC, I was hitting 13.70's when I was trapping 101mph. That was ages ago though.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I got the jitters and nervous so I was dumping the clutch. I'll try feathering the clutch this time. I think I was more or less nervous because they had me in the class with all corvettes and built camaros. I told them I would probably run high 13s and all the sudden, I was surrounded by z06s on slicks. So I had sweaty palms and a heavy foot lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprastroker88;1723064 said:
I got the jitters and nervous so I was dumping the clutch. I'll try feathering the clutch this time. I think I was more or less nervous because they had me in the class with all corvettes and built camaros. I told them I would probably run high 13s and all the sudden, I was surrounded by z06s on slicks. So I had sweaty palms and a heavy foot lol

Haha, first time huh? Happened to me, was racing a guy with a ~420whp-ish Mk4 who had crappy tires. Outran him in the time, but it was heads up racing in that class, so whoever ends up at the finish first wins... I have good luck bringing my rpm to about 5k-5500, engaging clutch halfway, and when the rpms settle around 4500, the boost starts coming on, I fully engage the clutch and floor it. Granted, I've only been down a track ONE time, but did alright, all things considered. :)

Why they stuck you in with the Vettes and built Camaros I have no idea... those cars run low 13's stock in most cases. Stick some grippy tires on them, and 12's from the factory are easy enough.

As for the nervousness and jitters, that's up to you to figure out how to take care of. ;)

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
te72;1723157 said:
Haha, first time huh? Happened to me, was racing a guy with a ~420whp-ish Mk4 who had crappy tires. Outran him in the time, but it was heads up racing in that class, so whoever ends up at the finish first wins... I have good luck bringing my rpm to about 5k-5500, engaging clutch halfway, and when the rpms settle around 4500, the boost starts coming on, I fully engage the clutch and floor it. Granted, I've only been down a track ONE time, but did alright, all things considered. :)

Why they stuck you in with the Vettes and built Camaros I have no idea... those cars run low 13's stock in most cases. Stick some grippy tires on them, and 12's from the factory are easy enough.

As for the nervousness and jitters, that's up to you to figure out how to take care of. ;)

thanks for the tip. ill try that.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Another question.............
Would I have better luck with BFG g-force drag radials or nitto NT 555r drag radials?
And should i use my 17x9.5 mk4's with 275/40/17's or my sawblades with 245/50/16's?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Any good drag radial tire will do better than normal tires.

And generally for drag racing you want a talled tire. Something like 50+ on the sidewall at least.

Also lighter wheels are easier to spin.(in a good way)

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Don't expect to get good 60 ft's and 1/4 mile times on thin ass sidewall tires like nitto's or BHG.. The ones I use are 26x11.5x16 with a 4 and 1/2 inch side wall. I run them at 15 PSI and get out of the hole so hard it will make you shit bricks. Im Auto with a high stall though

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Devin LeBlanc;1723462 said:
Don't expect to get good 60 ft's and 1/4 mile times on thin ass sidewall tires like nitto's or BHG.. The ones I use are 26x11.5x16 with a 4 and 1/2 inch side wall. I run them at 15 PSI and get out of the hole so hard it will make you shit bricks. Im Auto with a high stall though

lol nice. im 5spd so youll be launching faster than me lol. do you put those slicks on sawblades?