First Start!!!

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Wish me luck guys, Im heading to the garage to finish up some work and hopefully here this car start for the first time! All I have left to do know is install the factory intercooler piping, install the drive shaft, install the Driftmotion FPD bypass hose, check my vacuum lines, check fluids, and crank it over!!! If all goes good I should be boostin tonight! I'll update later.:biggrinbo

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Good luck! I know my first start had me nervous, but take it slow and double check everything!

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Thanks guys, double checked everything. After freezing my ass off because the heater took a shit, I finally got it started!! I cranked it over for a bit to build oil pressure then put the efi fuse back in, it fired and ran for about 5-10 sec and then died, I think I didnt have enough gas. But atleast it ran! No strange noises, good oil pressure, I was so worried about this engine, still am. Im waiting until it warms up before I get it out and see how it runs and drives.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Congratulations! Takes a lot of determination to work on a car in the freezing cold without a heater. kudos to you

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Well I put 5 gallons of gas in it today, let the battery charge back up. I tried to refire but no luck... I checked timing, check fuel, turns out I now have no spark. I checked all my connections and everything was hooked up, Im clueless now. I guess once I get feeling back in my hands I'll go back and check for voltage to the coil packs. Anyone that has an idea of what this could be please chime in.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
CPS and coilpack connectors tend to get brittle and make a bad connection. Make sure they are both tight, and wiggle them around a little, then see if it fires up

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Ok heres what Ive found so far.... Coil resistance is within TSRM spec, getting 12v to coil, Igniter ohms in spec with TSRM, checked gounds, checked EFI main relay, double checked all connections, and still no refire. I HAVE found that the check engine light DOES NOT come on when the key is in the ON position....will not come on when I go to check codes either....

Does anyone have a clue what or why this is?? Tech guys please help.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Check your EFI and other fuses first. Also make sure your grounds are all hooked up and in good condition. No CEL=computer is not powering on, usually.

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
New EFI fuse, all fuses look good, grounds are all attached and un-corroded. Still nothing, I had CEL on first start, it ran for a few seconds and then would die. I know Im missing somthing thats prolly staring me in the face....:: angry ::

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Check the ECU connectors...same thing happened to me, would start up for a few seconds then die, turned out one of the connectors wasnt pushed in all the way to the ECU itself. Also, had no check engine light at all, even with engine off, until it was pushed it in.

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Well I got the car to start and run last night but I had to run a jumper from the battery to the B+ terminal in the diag block. Any clue what may be causing the no power? I have the wiring diagrams but am still clueless as how to read it properly.

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Connectors in the ECU are all pushed in, changed open circut relay, the terminals at the EFI relay are all making contact with the relay, all fused have been replaced.... Still no CEL and the only way I can get it to start is by jumping power from the batt to the B+ terminal of the diag port. Also I have found that I cannot set ignition timing by jumping the terminals in the block, Im assuming because of no proper ECU power.
Has forcedtorque ever figured out his problem? I think he had the same prob as me.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
You're backfeeding the circuit when jumpering power to +B. It's obvious either your EFI main relay isn't being energized or it is being energized but there's no power being passed through it to the ECU. Does the relay get warm to the touch? Does the system come alive if the two slots in the relay socket closest to the front of the car are jumped with the key on?

Course, a few simple tests with a meter would be better than that sort of mickey mouse troubleshooting...

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Found the problem.... I feel so stupid. I replaced all the fuses awhile back and next to the IGN fuse in the driverside fuse block is a blank spot I installed the 7.5 amp fuse in it instead of the correct location. It runs fine now, CEL works and after setting ign timing per TSRM the car runs great. Thank you all for your input, should have checked the simple things again.