Fire in the engine bay :(

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
Hey,

Took the car out for a spin the other night. Let it warm up and just took it around the block. Was running weird so I took it back home and pulled it back into the garage. Popped the hood and saw flames under the turbo. Quickly ran back into the car and grabbed the fire extinguisher and put the fire out. I have a -10 AN stainless braided hose for the turbo drain. I had the same problem before, a few months after going single turbo that the rubber melted and oil started leaking onto the exhaust. Caught it before anything happened. Tried to route it differently but couldn't find a way other than between runners 1 and 2. So I replaced it but wrapped the drain line in exhaust wrap to insulate from all the heat. Also my manifold is wrapped. This time it lasted little longer but obviously failed again. :nono: What are you guys using for oil drain lines and how did you route the drain line? I started to look into SS or kevlar braided teflon -AN hose since it can withstand more heat. Does anyone know any other hoses that can withstand higher temps? I have the 60-1 single turbo kit from DM if it matters.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and fyi. luckily caught it early enough that only the oil drain line needs to be replaced but there is a lot to clean up :( Looks like it snowed in my engine bay. :nono:

p1882372_1.jpg

p1882372_2.jpg

p1882372_3.jpg

p1882372_4.jpg

p1882372_5.jpg

Last edited:

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
i'm using a 30 or 45degree AN10 hose-fitting on my drain line out of the turbo..... routed the hose away from the manifold (+ heatwrapped manifold AND drainline).... and down to the drainhole in the block. No issues what so ever, dosent get hot at all.

But use small angle fittings....a 90 degree will limit the drain capacity significantly.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
leezymk3;1882540 said:
Holy shit glad you cough it on time man,that would be sux

yea i would've felt worse if it happened while my sis was driving it for the last few months cause i was rebuilding the family DD. she prob would've kept driving not realizing it. when it was too late would've prob just jumped out of the car or worse been stuck in the car and gone with the car. :(

91Supra313;1882517 said:
Sorry to hear about it. Hope everything cleans up like it was before if not better.

:ttiwwp:

pics added. obviously wasn't going to let the fire keep burnign while i take pics. ;)
It's going to be a PITA and slow but it'll get done. Now that its down I can fix some things I've been wanting to fix for awhile that I couldn't while it was up and running or else there would've been down time. It'll be cleaner this time around. Probably gonna get the valve covers repowdercoated.

Torque;1882572 said:
I would suggest fabbing up a hard line for the oil return.

I've been thinking about that.

Last edited:

Torque

Sep 7, 2008
In your home
Yeah by looking at your posted pictures, that return line was in a horrible place. The hardline shouldn't be too expensive to make. One of my friends has the same setup as you and he used a hardline with his. Best of luck on your rebuild.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I would second the idea of a hardline, might fashion it to have a bit of a flexible section. IIRC, the stock line is like that isn't it?

Oh, and I'm sure you have figured this out by now, but it's always a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher in older or modified cars. ;)

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
The way I see it;
Just route your hardline/hose Forward instead of between the exhaust runners, Heat should not be much of a concern there...

But the real problem must have been a leak form Turbo/AN fitting...