Finished rebuild, CEL with key off, loud ant.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Ok so I'm finishing up my build this weekend and threw my ECU and battery in tonight.
The Check engine light comes on only when the key is out of the ignition. Once I turn the key to acc. it goes off. My Coilpack and O2 sensor and a few small things aren't plugged in yet but I don't see how this would be the cause. Only wiring change I did was the external fuel pump relay. Any ideas?

Also when i turn the radio on (aftermarket radio) the antenna motor can be heard through the speakers, very loud. I had this radio in before, wired the same, and no problem.

Haven't started it up yet, gotta grab some oil in the morning.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Nothing? I'm about to go finish it up and haven't found anything leading to a CEL only with the key out.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Same harnesses (engine and chassis) as before? Sounds like something is misplugged. The MIL circuit is pretty simple. Should have invested money and effort into electrical learning instead of making your car look better with say, I dunno, one of those aluminum CPS covers. That way you wouldn't be ignorant and useless right about now ;)

Btw what's "SS Mass" mean? South Shore?

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Same Harnesses. I've got electrical "learning" just never encountered a scenario where the MIL would only illuminate when the key is removed. Checked over the wiring and can't find any misplugged connectors. Toyota was pretty good about connectors only going to their desired spots too.

Yea south of Boston is the south shore.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Native Masshole. Born and raised in Plymouth. Grew up in Rockland and towns nearby.

The MIL being on means the ECU is powered at Batt+. That means the EFI main relay is closed. That gets turned on by the ECU, which turns the main relay on after it sees power coming in on IGN SW from the ignition switch. That's the way it's supposed to work. You'll need to see if anything is cross talking to that circuit or if it's wired right and something is faulty, say the ignition switch or main relay. At what key positions do you have +12 at the B+ terminal in the diag block?

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Haha I'm from Marshfield, about 15 minutes from both.

I was getting 12 volts in every key position, even with the key out. I started tracing down wires and found the ground wire attached to the Intake manifold was actually hanging (I disconnected it to fix the old chewed up loom, and never connected it again, oops) So it was hanging, and touching the starter. Moved the wire back to where it should go and no MIL. Still got the antenna interferance but that barely bothers me.

Thanks for the info JJ.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
It's always something simple eh?

I know Marshfield well. Because my best friends were from Pembroke I spent many a weekend there as a teenager. Good times. I sure miss the seafood back there. At times I'd kill for a big chunk of haddock.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Of course, but I'd much rather it be this, than having to chase every wire into the ecu looking for voltage.

Yup born and raised here, I'm very familiar with the local towns. A few of my friend's are in the Family Seafood business. Sadly I don't have much of an appetite for it, used to love it when I was younger though.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
mass the only place a clam is actually a clam and not a quahog;).lobster's actually have claws too.place's where you can get a big plate of fish and chip's for $6 at lunch.