Finally blew my OEM HG. :-D

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
This is so exciting...

Some of you know that I've been boosting the hell out of my engine for the past 4 years. 20psi CT26 (60-trim), 22-24psi (T-66), and now 30psi (GT4088).

Knowing I had pulled the pin on a ticking time bomb, I thought I better get it on the dyno to prove it's making 500+hp.
Tonight I hook up my air compressor to my boost leak tester, to go over some final changes in vacuum routing...

So I hear something..
I begin to laugh a little bit, and take the radiator cap off...
I take a look inside, annndddd.... **BUBBLEBUBBLEBUBBLEBUBBLE...** :rofl:

On a bright side, I found a couple boost leaks. :)

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
That's what I'm sayin'!

It's true though, it's all in the tune... I know how this happened.

Detonation! Spiked boost on pump gas, and knock couldn't retard timing enough, soon enough... I'm sure I egg shaped a couple bores on the gasket.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
MK3Brent;889771 said:
This is so exciting...

Some of you know that I've been boosting the hell out of my engine for the past 4 years. 20psi CT26 (60-trim), 22-24psi (T-66), and now 30psi (GT4088).

Knowing I had pulled the pin on a ticking time bomb, I thought I better get it on the dyno to prove it's making 500+hp.
Tonight I hook up my air compressor to my boost leak tester, to go over some final changes in vacuum routing...

So I hear something..
I begin to laugh a little bit, and take the radiator cap off...
I take a look inside, annndddd.... **BUBBLEBUBBLEBUBBLEBUBBLE...** :rofl:

On a bright side, I found a couple boost leaks. :)
so you dont know how long it was leaking?

BRIAN

Supramania Contributor
Jan 7, 2006
socal
congratz....I guess lol.

I'm not fully aware of how exactly you had your head gasket prepped to last this long but, if you don't mind giving us more details on the whole story from the beginning to now. Like for example if you used ARP bolts and had the head and block cut for the stocker. The little details like that would be great:).

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Nothing magical.

The stock gasket blew at 100ish thousand miles, pulled the head milled it and cleaned the block. New toyota bolts at 72ft/lbs.

It's all in the tune...

Like I said, I detonated this engine pretty bad recently on pump gas.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
^:rofl: I haven't heard meathead since the Archie Bunker days. :biglaugh:

Well for any of you noobies that aren't familiar with Mr. Brents car...

Go search on YouTube...find some of his videos, and then you'll rethink how solid a stock headgasket 7M can be if you know how to cater to your Supra. ;)

With that said, I'll say congratulations as well for making down what I'd almost guaranttee would've been over 500rw.

What are your plans now?

-Jeff

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Do you have any pictures of your boost leak detector? I need to make one to have around here since I have two supras to take care of.